Honored Contributor

Re: Someone is messing with my mailbox

@cookinfreak 

FWIW......

Mailboxes are FEDERAL property.  In your case, vandalism, for example, individuals can be fined up to $250,000 per each act of mailbox vandalism. If mailboxes were considered private property, the U.S. government wouldn't be able to impose such stiff fines.

You need to report these vandalisms to the police ASAP.  Since you do not have video survalliance, I would strongly suggest that you get one.  You should have purchased one after the FIRST incident.

Also, if any of your neighbors have them, notify the police.  The police will be able to review the tapes to see who is vandalizing your mailbox.

What I find strange about your post is why your mailbox is not locked?  confused.gif 

Sounds to me you may have a case against your HOA if they did not provide locks which only the post person & you have a key.

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@decaf wrote:

I would visit my postmaster, in person, to make a written report.  What they are doing is against the law.  Then I'd ask the postmaster for advice on how to stop this vandalism. This is serious, it's a possibility they could be stealing your mail too, but, of course, how would you even know?

@decaf,  not a complete answer because it isn't always accurate but signing up for Informed Delivery with USPS would be a step in the right direction.

@MarpGood you thought about that!.  It didn't cross my mind, I did have it a while back, for less than one week. I found it had accuracy problems and sometimes I got the mail before the notification. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf 

She would know if her mail was stolen if she signed up for informed delivery at usps.com they take a photo of the mail you will receive that day and email you the information

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with other suggestions to either get a Ring or trail camera. And, since someone other than a Postal employee is putting things in your mailbox, go to the PO and file a complaint.

Start taking pictures of what is in your mailbox so you have proof.

Honored Contributor

#1 - there are 5 mailboxes, where is yours?  One of the ends or middle that it's been knocked off the stand several times.  How long ago did it start?

#2 - the planter was stolen from your porch years ago.

#3 - the bag of poop - I have no words.

JMO but I think you are making more of this than necessary as far as someone holding a grudge unless it's all happened within a few days.

Valued Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower 

No, I don't have a dog

@Mz iMac 

Our mailboxes are just the basic mailboxes all in a row on a wooden structure. I do not have an HOA

My mailbox is on one of the ends

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower 

No, I don't have a dog

@Mz iMac 

Our mailboxes are just the basic mailboxes all in a row on a wooden structure. I do not have an HOA

My mailbox is on one of the ends

cookin

@cookinfreak 

Do any of the other mailbox owners in your group own a dog?  I wonder if someone is doing things to the wrong mailbox.  The dog poop does seem to suggest that there's someone who has an issue with dog poop on their property.  This issue often comes up on Nextdoor.com and there are always people who suggest leaving the poop on the dog owners property.  Maybe they think your mailbox belongs to the dog owner.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI:  "Only authorized USPS letter carriers may insert mail into a residential mailbox."

"... Vandalizing a mailbox is a federal crime. Vandalism in this context means any type of destruction or property damage to the mailbox itself or inserting something into the mailbox with the intention of defacing or destroying the mail inside.  If you're found guilty of mailbox vandalism, you can expect a fine up to $250,000 and up to three years in a federal prison for each willful act...."

Quoted from LegalBeagle.com

Esteemed Contributor

School is out this week. Sounds like kids being annoying kids, but need some structure in their lives. Report it to the Police so they will patrol your neighborhood often and keep reports of similar incidents. Never know when (or if) this phone call will find the culprets and the kids will realize their behaviors are not acceptable.

Imagine the police will have them replace, repair or clean up any property destroyed or stolen; their parents will be horrified and much tougher as far as disappointment and grounding. Lessons will be learned.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I really would set up a camera that is pointed in that area, if at all possible.  This is awful and I'm sorry you are experiencing it.  Smiley Sad

I'm glad that my mailbox is on the front of my house and I hope they never change it to where they have to start putting the mailboxes for the whole street all in one place, so that the carriers don't have to do footwork.   If so, they better have locks on them!