Valued Contributor

Someone is messing with my mailbox

I live in a townhome and we have 5 mailboxes on a stand by the driveway. Mine has been hit with something and knocked off the stand several times. A couple of days ago, I was getting my mail and someone had picked up dog poop in a bag, rolled it up and put it in my mailbox. What would you do? I don't have ring or any kind of device like that. The mailboxes are just far enough from our homes that I don't think it could catch anything.

I also had a small flower planter that was taken off my front porch a couple years ago. I think someone has a grudge against me. What are any thoughts??

Thanks!

cookin

Super Contributor

Re: Someone is messing with my mailbox

Definitely put a Ring on your porch.  Consider getting a PO Box if they continue to mess with your mailbox.

Honored Contributor

There's no lock on your mailbox???  I would definitely get a PO Box then.

Trusted Contributor

I live in condo community and we have locked mailboxes that only the mailman and resident can access.  I'm thinking someone thinks you have a dog that you're not picking up after.  My next thought is someone doesn't like you because of some other behavior, religion, political beliefs, etc.  If no one else is having a problem, then someone is having a problem with you.  Anyway, report it to your HOA, post office and maybe even file a police report.  Time for a Ring doorbell.

Honored Contributor

Is it just your mailbox or are the others having problems too?

(I assume from your post that all the boxes are close together.)

Respected Contributor

Get yourself a trail camera and set it up so it's hidden but has a clear shot of the mailbox.My trail cam has caught everything from a cougar to a "2 legged" skunk. Well worth the money (not that much) to see (and have proof) of what goes on when you are not around.

Trusted Contributor

I would visit my postmaster, in person, to make a written report.  What they are doing is against the law.  Then I'd ask the postmaster for advice on how to stop this vandalism. This is serious, it's a possibility they could be stealing your mail too, but, of course, how would you even know?

Trusted Contributor

@cookinfreak  Pllease remember to take photos of any vandalism too!

Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

I would visit my postmaster, in person, to make a written report.  What they are doing is against the law.  Then I'd ask the postmaster for advice on how to stop this vandalism. This is serious, it's a possibility they could be stealing your mail too, but, of course, how would you even know?

@decaf,  not a complete answer because it isn't always accurate but signing up for Informed Delivery with USPS would be a step in the right direction.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I live in condo community and we have locked mailboxes that only the mailman and resident can access.  I'm thinking someone thinks you have a dog that you're not picking up after.  My next thought is someone doesn't like you because of some other behavior, religion, political beliefs, etc.  If no one else is having a problem, then someone is having a problem with you.  Anyway, report it to your HOA, post office and maybe even file a police report.  Time for a Ring doorbell.

@Jaspersmom  what you said about the dog, could be the answer.