Honored Contributor

Any one else get itchy ankles when you turn on the heat and start wearing socks? We hate to start to wear them when it gets cold. Anybody know of a sock brand that doesn't leave you itching your ankles till they bleed. I hate to mess with messy creams. Your feet are cold and you have to wait till the cream absorbs then you put on socks and they make you itch.

Respected Contributor

Now that you mention it, I do also.  Never thought much about it, but it must be skin drying out because heat is on and less humidity in the air.  I don't have a solution, may-be all cotton socks would work.  In the house, I wear a ped type of sock that doesn't go over my ankles.

Honored Contributor

I do. Since the weather change here, I am itchy all over. I use gallons of lotions. lol,

Honored Contributor

Not unless I am having dry skin. I wear socks every day, so there's nothing special about winter.

Are they cotton, poly blend, or wool? If you wear wool socks in the winter and only itch when you wear socks, you might have a wool allergy. Switching to cotton or blends without wool might help.

I also hate messy creams, so I don't use them on my feet. Instead I use a stick moisturizer in the morning and put my socks on over it. Right now I use the Primal Whip Stick from the Primal Pit Paste company, but the Surgeon's Skin Secrets moisturizer sticks sold here are also really good.

Honored Contributor

You need more humidity in your home when the furnace is in use.   That helps a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like to wear shoes in the house .... in the summer I walk around bare foot & in the winter I wear cotton socks... if I forget to put lotion on my feet before I put the socks on I do get itchy around my ankles... the rest of my foot is fine but, my ankles get itchy!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Nope. I wear low ped type socks year round to bed and around the house and  use argan oil or whipped butter on them daily. My feet are smooth as silk. Ive never had to use one of those things that scrape the dead skin. (Thankfully!) Now my hands do get dry and I use the above products on them and that helps tremendously.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Oh dear, that sounds dreadful.  I wear socks in the winter.  I wear ALL cotton.  I'm pretty much 100% a cotton girl, though.

Also, I wash my laundry, and that of the bird and dog, in UNSCENTED laundry detergent.

I don't know if any of that is helpful.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all replies. We got a humidifier on the furnace it might not be working. This is Tx. too so that's no good. I'll try all cotton. My poor husband scratches like a dog and bleeds. Only thing that helps me at the present is to go sockless. Matter of letting your skin breath I guess.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, that's one of the good things about cotton - it breathes.  Smiley Happy

Are you two diabetic?  That adds additional challenges, from what I understand, involving the feet and legs.