Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Social Security #'s on Medicare Cards?!

Your Medicare and SSA benefits are based on your Social Security record and that identification number is your SS number (or a spouse or a parent's number).  There are millions upon millions of beneficiaries.  Can you imagine the confusion and mixups and errors  that would result if everyone was assigned some type of pseudo number?  It would never work.  Plus it would be overkill.  It would be like demolishing your house because you have ants in your pantry. 

Honored Contributor

Hello  ...............  that is your Medicare#  ...............  Your SSN!!!  And your medicare insurance money is taken out of your SS, DUH!Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My social security number has always been on my card. It is the one number that is a unique identifier, I guess. Many clinical laboratories and physician offices still use a patient's SS#
Valued Contributor

The A or B is not relevant to the benefits. Everyone pays the same in the state where you live and then can buy a supplemental policy to pay the remaining 20% balance of approved charges that the government doesn't pay. The cost of these supplement policies are also based on insurance charges in the state where you live.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
And the amount you pay per month for Medicare changes at the beginning of the calender year. Then there are the Part C plans which administer your Medicare benefits instead of the government. A lot of the people I know use these but my husband and I use Medicare and supplemental insurance. It is a matter of preference.
Trusted Contributor

As everyone before me indicated, the SS number is on those cards. Heck, when i was in college, all atudent i.d.s and student numbers were Social Security numbers. That system finally changed not too long ago.
Contributor

It has been advised for years not to carry your SS card. Now, they are advising that you not carry your medicare card. Carry a copy of your medicare card with all but the last four digits blacked out. You can provide the other digits verbally if there is a need for the full SS number.

Honored Contributor

cloudyQ wrote:

It has been advised for years not to carry your SS card. Now, they are advising that you not carry your medicare card. Carry a copy of your medicare card with all but the last four digits blacked out. You can provide the other digits verbally if there is a need for the full SS number.

i am not on medicare, but i know that the doctors i go to and the doctors i have taken my kids to ALWAYS want to see my card EVERY time i go in......and they make a copy of it. they want to be sure that i still have the same insurance and that i am covered. they wont accept me bringing in a copy.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

For years until it was changed Massachusetts driver's licenses numbers were social security numbers.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Until the day he died, my father carried his SS card in his wallet.  I bet many seniors do too.  I remember probably displaying mine in my wallet when I first received it.  It's probably only been the last 10 or 15 years that we were told not to carry it in your wallet.