Super Contributor

Re: Social Security #'s on Medicare Cards?!

There has long been a call to redo medicare cards so that the ss# would not be shown.  It is a matter of dollars & cents...huge cost to redo the system for current and future medicare users. However, Obama has signed a bill to solve this problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/21/us/new-law-to-strip-social-security-numbers-from-medicare-cards.ht...

Meanwhile, I have followed aarp's (and others) recommendations:

-make a copy of your ss card

-on the copy, cross out the first 5 digits

-carry this copy with you

Do not cross out the last 4 digits, because those 4 digits are sometimes visible other places online.  Someone trying to steal your identity can put things together and have your complete #.

Valued Contributor

From the SSA's IG: To protect seniors from identity theft, President Obama recently signed a bill  (April, 2015) that requires the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to issue new Medicare cards that don’t display, code, or embed SSNs.

However, I believe they have 4 years to develop a new identifier and another 4 years to begin issuing the new cards. 

Trusted Contributor

I just started going to a new dentist. The form they gave me to fill out asked for my SSN, I did xxx-xx-the last 4 digits of my SSN. They didn't question it but I also paid for the services myself since I don't have dental insurance.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

For years until it was changed Massachusetts driver's licenses numbers were social security numbers.

Are you kidding me !?!

Wow

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

I have ChampVA as my medical insurance. My card used to display my SSN but 2 or 3 years ago the SSN itself was removed from the card. The card now says "Patient SSN."

Respected Contributor

You don't have to give your SS number to anyone...however, you to have to show your Medicare card to your medical provider so they can submit your claims to be paid...unfortunately, when Medicare and SS went into effect, nobody could foresee the problems with identity theft today that is so commonplace.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

addiegal wrote:
Ford, the A on your Medicare card is to identify the primary beneficiary and B follows that of the secondary beneficiary. Also, if you are secondary the primary's SS # is on your card not your number. This is if you are being paid benefits or covered by Medicare through a spouse.

Actually, I believe the A on your Medicare card shows that you are enrolled for Medicare part A (hospital) benefits.  If you are enrolled for Part B benefits (doctors and outpatient services) as well, your card will show Part A and B after your name.  Medicare cards have always carried the Social Security number, which serves as your Medicare ID number.  This is nothing new.  It is used in filing Medicare claims for you.

Trusted Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Hello  ...............  that is your Medicare#  ...............  Your SSN!!!  And your medicare insurance money is taken out of your SS, DUH!Smiley Very Happy

Not too hard to figure out - DUH is right!

Trusted Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Hello  ...............  that is your Medicare#  ...............  Your SSN!!!  And your medicare insurance money is taken out of your SS, DUH!Smiley Very Happy

Nice... Tough day?

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Valued Contributor

Replying to goodstuff comments below. You are not correct. A means you contributed earnings. B means you did not contribute; if your name is on a B card you can receive benefits through another contributor. I am an A and I have hospital,doctor, diagnostic etc. I actually worked on all this mess years ago and my firm helped set up the federal guidelines. This was in the late 60's and early 70's and there many comments at that time this whole system would not be in effect by 2000. The whole pyramid system would collapse. They keep layer stuff; just like our income tax system. It is very complicated and is very easy to scam. Big government as usual; what a mess.