Trusted Contributor

Re: Social Security, need help determining the amount

@Sooner , I know my personal pay out numbers, I signed up on-line.  Just don't know if I get the amount the date I file (62 & 2 months) or since first check is in 3 months, do I get that extra amount (62 & 5 months)

Trusted Contributor

I just thought someone knew, I will find out & let you all know

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

@Sooner , I know my personal pay out numbers, I signed up on-line.  Just don't know if I get the amount the date I file (62 & 2 months) or since first check is in 3 months, do I get that extra amount (62 & 5 months)

@AnnMarie-1 I think it is when you file that the amount is settled, but I don't KNOW. But would it make that much difference in the amount?  

Or are you talking about back pay for the months before the check starts?  As I remember there is a lag time, so the check just starts on a certain date and there is no back pay for the months before the starting time.  

But I am old and don't remember the specifics!  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  ha ha, you are not old!

No, not looking for back pay

I know the amount difference is not much but I want the extra few bucks if I can LOL

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 SS doesn't do paper checks anymore. It's either direct deposit (mine) or you receive a debit type card. A few much older recipients *may* still be getting paper checks, not sure about that.

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids

No problem with how I would receive it, thank you for your kindness about payment form

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AnnMarie-1 From the SSA website:

If you've already reached full retirement age, you can choose to start receiving benefits before the month you apply. However, we cannot pay retroactive benefits for any month before you reached full retirement age or more than six months in the past.

As others have posted, it's best to check with SSA, but at 62, you are not full retirement age, even though you can collect SSA.  For every month over 62 that you are when you start collecting, you will receive a little higher monthly benefit than you would have at 62.  

Here's the link to the article:

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/delayret.html

There's also a chart with the percentages for every month over 65:

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/1959.html

At 62 + 5 months, you would receive 1.2% more per month than at 62 + 2 months.

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 

I'm guessing you already know if you wait until full retirement age instead of starting now at 62, the checks will be larger.

I found that the difference each month is 2/3 of 1%, but I don't know the answer to your specific question about the starting date.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

can you apply online?  that's what I did   

Super Contributor

@AnnMarie-1  I received the amount that I was quoted online the day I applied and that was 2 years ago.

I know your frustration about trying to call.  I have been trying to report unemployment fraud in my state after I was notified that they needed to prove it was me 15 days ago.  Same thing, it says sorry and to call back later.  I finally got in contact this morning but was disconnected.