Respected Contributor

Everyone be on guard.  They have started up again.  We got 3 today from 3 different numbers.   Every time they called our land line I would block the number.  They finally started calling on our cell phones.

This stuff has gotten out of hand. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Social Security Scam Calls

I was watching the local news and they had someone on from soc sec talking about theses calls. He said usually they try to send letters and tell you to call them if there is a problem. I haven't gotten any of these calls or knew anything about it until watching the news and you are warning us too. Yes, we should be aware of these scams. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I receive an email when a new blog is posted. You can read messages online or sign up for an email at SSA. gov. This alert is highlighted in red text on the site. 

Honored Contributor

I never answer calls from unfamilar numbers so I get almost no scam calls.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

What were they saying?  What was the scam?  Information might be helpful to others.

Valued Contributor

I got the call yesterday. It said someone in west Texas has been using my social security number and asks you to press a number now. 

I didn't pick up. Two things that were so phony about the call: it never mentions who the call is for and then it ends with have a nice day! 

Honored Contributor

I received one of these calls.  So did my 88 yr old dad.  We hung up and blocked the numbers.  SS never calls people.  

Honored Contributor

I'm with a previous poster....I just never answer a call if I don't recognize who is calling.  If its a legitimate call and they start to leave a message, I can always pick up the phone during their message and continue the conversation.

Respected Contributor

The age of technology is going to destroy us all.  We have had the SS scam calls before.  This morning at 2:32, my mobile phone rang.  The caller ID was from France.  I turned off the ringer, put it in the nightstand drawer and attempted to go back to sleep.  There are three more calls from France on the phone.  All were timed at two hours apart and the last digit of the incoming phone number was off by two digits.  I've spent the last thirty minutes checking all of out credit cards and financial institutions.  We really do have to pay attention and be on guard all the time.  It seems older folks are the targets. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I never answer calls from unfamilar numbers so I get almost no scam calls.

I don't answer them either but that doesn't stop them or keep them from trying. They either leave a robo message or you hear a hangup as soon as the voice mail starts. For some reason Wed. & Thurs. are prime scam call days on my phone. You block the number and they use a different one......often using a local name & number as their caller ID.