Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Security Scam Calls

[ Edited ]

Is there anything that there isn't a scam for. I'm not familiar yet with the SS scam, but I am weary of all the other scam calls I get on a daily basis. Even though the answering machine takes over, they STILL persist week after week after week.

Esteemed Contributor

Today - between 9AM and 1PM I rec'd 3 SCAM calls -- same area code as mine, but different phone numbers. I let them go to my answering machine and, of course, no messages. I used to answer the phone and tell them "where to go."

Super Contributor

i know this is not about S.S call I got a call today been blocked they called Labor day too I   never answer these type of  calls  I have Call Block  and  still  get all kind of calls scammers just sick of it today my Insurance Co they have a call center calls for promos screenings   etc  I  told  them to dtop calling me and giving out my number I Called that out of counrty call center was a Asian lady ro  stop calling  me take me off of their list so tired of them calling me  told them I will drop them in October.

Regular Contributor

I find it interesting that when I first saw this post I hadn't received any such calls & was relieved. Now a week later I've started getting them - 4 yesterday, Friday & 1 this morning, Saturday. Now we all know SS does NOT work on Saturdays!! How stupid are these people? They aren't even good scammers. I was also wondering if they have "targeted" QVC customers for some reason?

Respected Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

I got the call yesterday. It said someone in west Texas has been using my social security number and asks you to press a number now. 

I didn't pick up. Two things that were so phony about the call: it never mentions who the call is for and then it ends with have a nice day! 

Most ppl call on my cell phone but have had messages left on landline answering machine.  The fake calls are always from men with a middle eastern accent and often it's hard to understand them. 

My calls mostly came in spring at tax time and it's the "IRS telling me I made a mistake on taxes and there was a balance due and I need to call a number NOW to pay a balance or federal agents will show up at my home and take me to jail."