Honored Contributor

There is a big difference between all the stores closing and some of the closing.  The initial post reads to me as if that is a list of all the stores closing, not that some of those stores will be closing.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I went to Macy’s looking for a particular nail polish kit for a granddaughter. I had seen it online and hoped they had it in the store. After waiting forever to get a person to acknowledge I was even there ( she was on her phone apparently talking to her boyfriend, judging from the giggling) I asked her if they carried this kit...I pulled it up on my phone and showed her a picture of it...she just shook her head and said no, that’s only online. I thanked her and as I was going to the escalator.....there it was, on a big display by the down escalator. I bought it but another girl rang it up. Sheesh! It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are going down.

I am sure almost everyone has had a similar experience.

@lovesrecess 

Yep, that's typical for Macy's ---  even in one of the very high end malls...clothes thrown all over the floor, dressings rooms are a mess...And they dont seem to care about customers..employees on personal calls ....or in a group talking about after work plans.....

Contrast that with Dillards---stores are neat and clean, dressing rooms are tidy, employees are very helpful....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I think a big issue for department stores was them becoming too homogenized. They lost their individuality. I go back to when Philly had Lit Brothers, Wanamakers, Strawbridge and Taylor, and Gimbels. Each store was unique. Most then expanded and expanded, were taken over by others, and now every department store is more or less the same. The personality is gone.

Each part of the country has unique craftspeople making furniture, lamps, artwork, etc. Each part of the country has clothing and shoe designers. Each part of the country has jewelry designers. I think a department store built around the concept of offering a unified space for those craftspeople to have their work highlighted and sold could be very successful. I think the right kind of high end department store could do very well in today's marketplace. I think the cookie cutter department stores though are in big trouble.

@gardenman 

Yep your right,  no matter what city you go to....the malls are always the same....That's why a lot of people here head to the Texas Hill Country and enjoy all their unique and different shops....they have artisan jewelry, Amish furniture, folk art pieces, a lot of unique decor shops, boutique clothing stores BUT reasonable and affordable prices, antique shops, wine shops from local wineries, even an old fashion 5 & 10, a German Bakery, nice restaurants too...and so much more...It's like taking a mini vacation....

Now one gigantic shopping center does really well because it has such a nice mix of different stores...it does much better than the upscale fancy open air mall across the highway....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

We lost one of our malls 25 years ago.  Our other  mall is losing stores.  We do have outlet malls in three directions (30+ miles) but they too have vacant spaces... 

I  am an online shopper so I guess I am part of the problem BUT I get better choices online.  I guess it is the sign of the times.

Super Contributor

I think a online shopping has a lot to do with these stores closing.

Honored Contributor
Just put the list that was in the article. They said bankruptcy and closing, so only time will tell.
Honored Contributor
We have a TJ Max very close to where I live but I rarely even go in; terrible CS....you stand in line to check out and the cashier brings people far behind you up to the counter. The cashier is the manager. That’s the best experience I had there. I go to Marshall’s which is farther away but worth it since it isn’t TJMaxx.
Honored Contributor
I think some of these companies try to spruce up their stores in a last-ditch effort to boost sales....hope it works, but the financial woes aren’t usually quickly fixed....seems most are from a combination of things, not just slow sales.
Honored Contributor
I read years ago that BonTon was closing....we don’t have them here, but I think they are still open in NY where I have a friend who shops there.
Valued Contributor

I am surprised at the 99 Cents stores.  We have several in our area and they are all busy every time I go in (which is often).