Honored Contributor

It has been a very dry summer here, people that have wells are having them going dry, some apple tree have no apples, never saw that before.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

My sister days the same thing about southeastern Massachusetts. I'm sorry to hear about that, we've been inundated with rain this past spring and summer.  

The weird thing here is, most of the trees are still vibrant and green. No change yet as far as them turning but we did have late spring weather and blooms.  Flowers and trees were at least a month late.

Crazy weather.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, it is the same here in Nova Scotia.  The plants in the gardens this year are much smaller than normal.  I bet we haven't had 5 mm in the last month.  Wells going dry.  Farmers desperate.  Fruit from apple trees are half their normal size.

I heard one farmer say that if we don't get a lot of rain in the fall, they will be very worried about next year's crops.  A lot of the crops were plowed under this year for lack of production.

I understand from one one news report that this is the worst it has been since 1910 for precipitation.  Scary.

Our well is ok.  Hope you are doing ok.  I am not surprised to hear that Maine is suffering the same as Nova Scotia, we are so close.  LM

Honored Contributor

I bet the leaf display won't be so spectacular this year.

To put your drought in perspective; Albuquerque has had 4.19" of rain this year.  I've had considerable less at my house because I'm further from the mountain...I'd guess a little over 2".  This has been going on since 2006, the last year we had average precip.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Southern West Virginia is also experiencing very dry conditions.   Our spring was soggy, and the early days of summer were wet.  August was mostly dry, with quick pop up showers, but no good soaking showers.  Our lawn is actually dry enough to burn right now.   We need good, soaking showers over several days, to wet us down to the degree we need.     

Esteemed Contributor

Re: So dry in maine

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624, yikes!!!

What is a normal amount of precipitation for you?  I know it's not a lot.

These conditions are not normal for this coastal Province.  

I understand more now why my brother, who lives in Kamloops, BC, loves to get out of there in high summer.  They have very hot dry weather and the forest fires that come along with it.  LM

PS! Some crimson red leaves on a drive locally here today.  Was a bit surprised it is so early.  

Trusted Contributor

It's been the same here where I am in Illinois.  I've had the sprinkler going out back for a couple hours now.  The ground is dry and cracked and everything is drooping.  :-(  I see it all over town ~ so many trees and shrubs just desperate for water.  Everything is withering ~ they are talking about rain this upcoming week ~ let's hope they are right.  I hope rain comes your ways as well.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom It's usually a sign of a stressed or sickly tree if they turn before the others.  Hope you get rain.  Hope we all do who need it.

Esteemed Contributor

Same dry conditions here in RI......just heard that the cranberry crop in MA is suffering....oh no...I love cooking with fresh cranberries in the fall....

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Kachina624, yikes!!!

What is a normal amount of precipitation for you?  I know it's not a lot.

These conditions are not normal for this coastal Province.  

I understand more now why my brother, who lives in Kamloops, BC, loves to get out of there in high summer.  They have very hot dry weather and the forest fires that come along with it.  LM

PS! Some crimson red leaves on a drive locally here today.  Was a bit surprised it is so early.  

@Lilysmom  I'm going to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-14" for Albuquerque is average.

I've been to Kamloops.  I remember us driving all over trying to find an optical shop so dad could get his glasses fixed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment