Honored Contributor

Macy's hiring 83,000 holiday workers for 2016 Christmas season; 6,900 in Ohio; 9/30 Hiring Day

20% off discount perk! Good luck to those seeking work!!!

Macy's plans to hire 86,000 this holiday season
Macy's was offering 40 percent off Christmas decor at its store in SouthPark mall in Strongsville in this Plain Dealer file photo. Macy's Inc., based in New York and Cincinnati, announced on Tuesday it plans to hire about 83,000 workers nationwide for the 2016 Christmas and holiday shopping season, including 6,900 at its stores and distribution center in Ohio. (Lisa DeJong, Plain Dealer file)

September 20, 2016 at 2:29 PM, updated September 20, 2016 at 3:18 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Macy's Inc. announced on Tuesday it plans to hire about 83,000 workers nationwide for the 2016 Christmas and holiday shopping season, including 6,900 at its stores and distribution center in Ohio. 

The openings, slightly less than the 85k in 2015 and the 86k in 2014 will be spread among its 880 Macy's and Bloomingdale's stores, as well as its call centers, distribution centers, and online fulfillment centers nationwide.

In Ohio, about 2,500 of the jobs will in stores, and 4,400 jobs will be at Macy's distribution and call center in Cincinnati.

Macy's, based in Cincinnati and New York, announced last month that it is closing 100 of its 728 Macy's stores, starting in early 2017, but has not announced which locations it will shutter.

Macy's is holding its first national holiday hiring day on Friday, Sept. 30, from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. local time at all of its Macy's, Bloomingdale's, and Macy's Backstage stores. Job-seekers should apply in advance online, which lists current openings and details about interviews. 

"However our customers connect with us – in stores, online and mobile, or over the phone – Macy's and Bloomingdale's shoppers have come to appreciate the higher level of our staffing and service throughout the Christmas and holiday season, and our associates love the merchandise discount and income-earning opportunities at this special time of the year," Macy's Inc. Chairman and Chief Executive Terry J. Lundgren said in an announcement.

"We first offer our current associates the opportunity to work extra hours over the holidays, and then supplement our ongoing workforce with seasonal hires. This significant increase in staffing allows us to provide additional service to customers, however they engage with us."

All seasonal workers qualify for a 20 percent on most merchandise purchases, Macy's said.

Holiday employees work on the selling floor at Macy's and Bloomingdale's, in store operations, via call centers, and in the distribution and fulfillment centers that ship to stores or send purchases directly to customers. 

Most seasonal jobs are part-time, and many positions require evenings, weekends, and sometimes overnight shifts. Temporary workers are sometimes offered permanent jobs based on their skills and performance during the holiday season.

"Especially at the holidays, we employ students working during break to help pay tuition, retirees seeking to remain active, and individuals from many walks of life wanting to supplement their income and benefit from receiving a merchandise discount on their purchases," Lundgren said in a statement. 

"We have many examples of associates who started with us in temporary seasonal positions and stayed to enjoy a long and fulfilling career with our company. Seasonal employment is often an opportunity to get to know potential future employees and to identify talent that we can recruit as needs arise," he added. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's hiring 83,000 holiday workers for 2016 Christmas season; 6,900 in Ohio; 9/30 Hiring Day

As I drove past my Macy's last Saturday, I saw signs on the doors saying "Store closing. 50 to 70% off". Guess they aren't hiring. Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

Re: Macy's hiring 83,000 holiday workers for 2016 Christmas season; 6,900 in Ohio; 9/30 Hiring Day

Our local Macy's is also CLOSING.  No one need apply.

Honored Contributor

Hope some are around here.  Long Island lost thousands of retail jobs over the last year.

I haven't looked to see if any of the local Macys are slated to close.  I don't pass any in most of my travels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good news!  If they have a gift-wrapping counter, that's the best way to meet grateful people, especially men.  And the time will quickly fly by!  ......... (No stress, everyone is happy; very relaxing in a sort of therapy kind of way....)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

THis is hiring for Macy's AND Bloomingdales. that means not that many people for the actual stores when you do the math.

I can see the call center and shipping needing extra help, absolutely. The stores? Not so much.

Honored Contributor

Where I live, most of our stores hire extra help for the holidays, including Macy's.  They all offer discounts too.

They want workers to work weekends and very late evenings.  Macy's is open to midnight in December.  You have to work the day before and the day after the holiday and also go to work on Thanksgiving.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh goodie. So we will be able to find someone to help us for three weeks out of the year!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

This temporary stop gap is not new, nor will it keep the chain afloat imo.......

Respected Contributor

Our Macy's closed last year..guess they are not hiring?

For a part-time job for a teen or college kid looking to make few holiday bucks or even housewife or somebody looking for a part-time second job for the holidays it may work-out but I wouldn't count on anything more. Especially come January..when all stores go dead and nobody is shopping much.

More and more online shopping is being done..even for those that haven't ventured that route.

I just LOVE Amazon...I ordered my 3-pack of lotion and it is about $1 less than if purchased at Walmart! Plus if I didn't select Prime Shipping they credited my account $5.99 for any future Amazone Pantry Purchase..probably the shipping charge but who cares. I didn't need the lotion asap. I will open my last one soon..that is all.

I just adore the CS at Amazon I've encountered no matter maybe with the exception of Overstock..same as Amazon..stand by the customer 100%... I digress as usual lol..sorry...