Respected Contributor

So glad you are ok @Anonymous032819 .  Seems several of us have hit the ground recently.  I was weedeating a ditch  last weekend and my boots were slipping around.  I felt myself start to fall and  I just let go and fell on my back .  Not resisting seemed to help me land better.   Was quite stoved up for days  but think it cold have been a lot worse.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Valued Contributor

I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate cords. Last summer my husband didn't put our pool's filter cord under the mat and I was carrying food outside and didn't see it.  My foot got caught and I went down.  Horrible feeling being stuck under the cord and falling forward. I skinned my knee and was sore for a few days.  THEN... about 3 months later, again I was carrying something and my foot got caught under another cord. This from someone who hasn't fallen in about 12 years.  This time I broke my wrist on carpeting....I put my hand out to break the fall. It's been a nightmare since.  I had a plate and screws put in.  Seven months later I had it removed because it was irritating.  I also had a neuroma taken care of. Now the internal scar is painful and my dr told me it takes time together better.  Moral of the story  - beware of cords.  I swear at the fan cord I tripped over everytime I see it. It feels like I've been dealing with this forever.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 ... I am so glad that you didn't get hurt and believe me I know that awful feeling when you are going down and can't stop it.  The main thing is that you are okay and you have given yourself some very good advice.  Are there any High School kids in your neighborhood who would like to get paid for a few hours of work?  Stay safe...

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

As one that has done a lot of falling, over decades, even rather recently! Your experience is nothing like the hundreds of falls I have taken on ice skates. It is just the opposite, and that is why you learn how to fall as a skater, even practicing.

I have told my experiences to many ice skaters, the were not hockey players or proficient figure skaters. As a hockey Ref, you are at times, at the mercy of the ice conditions. A hole here/a rut there, and so on.

Many times during games you have to go from forward to backwards(always facing the play). Flipping directions is not a problem for those proficient at ice skating. It's the unknowns that are the problem. Like the ruts I mentioned.

You are skating at a high speed frontwards and flip to go backwards.The next thing you see are the lights on the Arena ceiling. No slow motion, or time to think. It's an automatic reaction of how to fall with the fewest bumps/bruises or worse. 

Glad you didn't get badly hurt and at my age, being 50, is a plus. Hope you don't have any delayed reactions to your fall, they do happen.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@hckynut  Can you share a few tips on how best to fall to avoid injury?

Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819   What a scare!  So glad you"re ok!

Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

@shy bobcat 

Back in 1980 - 1981, my  mom took Aikido lessons. She told me that if you are falling, you relax, don't tense up and try to fight  it.

Ever notice how when a drink driver gets into an accident they have very few, if any injuries, while the one that they hit, has severe injuries?

Ever wonder why that is?

It's because the drunk person is in a relaxed state, whereas the victim tensed up.

So, if you are falling, just relax, and go with the momentum, try not to tense up. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: So THIS Happened

[ Edited ]

@shy bobcat wrote:

@shy bobcat 

Falling backwards, in general, the looser(more relaxed) the better. Ice skating, if a good skater, the only reason you fall backwards is the reason I described in my first post. This is related to hockey, not figure skating. For that you might ask "icegodess(not sure that is exact nic)".

Falling frontwards is much easier because your feet are behind your. You have your arms/forearms/wrists and fingers to help break your fall. You might sprain or break a bone, but it is much better than falling backwards, because for many the 1st thing to hit the ice might be the back of your head. 

Learning to skate young is the best. You are close to the ice and weigh much less. Learning as an adult? If you are afraid of falling? I would not even attempt it. Anyone that skates often is going to fall, regardless of their skill level. 

Unlike a smooth basketball court, ice is not even close. Good maintenance is paramount, but in all my decades of skating, perfect ice is a rarity. From up in the stands it looks as smooth as glass. Skating on it nothing close to perfectly smooth, thus the chances of falling.

I have fell many times when not skating, but have had, at worst, bone bruises. Muscle and tissue bruises, but those heal up much quicker.

Bone bruises, at times, don't even show up for weeks, but you know they are there. When they do show they are much darker in colors than tissue bruises, and don't go away for a long time.

Please try not to fall, but if you decide to inline(roller blade)skate, or ice skate? Read what I said above if it is your 1st time, and if you are afraid?  DON'T! 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)