Esteemed Contributor

I was using my weed eater to clean up my front yard today. When I had finished, I was wrapping up the cord (it's an electric weed eater), when my foot caught on the cement walkway.

I could feel myself starting to go down. When I realized that I couldn't stop the fall, I told myself to not fight it.

It was like it happened in slow motion. First my knees hit, then my torso, then my hands.

There I was on the ground, flat on my stomach. Being 50, I took a quick assessment. Nothing was painful, but I did skin the heal of my left hand.

Other than that, I'm fine. But maybe from now on I'll call someone to do the yard work.😏

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I had a horrible fall in 2012.  Really horrible.  It felt like it took me forever to fall.  Extreme slow motion.  I asked my husband why he didn't stop my fall and he said that it happened so FAST that he couldn't.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  A sensation you do not need to experience again !  Glad you are o.k. But not a nice happening.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 Glad to know you are ok after this ordeal.  Falls can really put the hurt on one.  My mother fell and broke her arm and leg on the same side in one night....

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 : Relieved that you are ok and no major injury. Yes- cheaper and less painful to hire someone else.

Respected Contributor

Well, I'm so glad you didn't hurt yourself, though you may be  sore tomorrow. Be careful out there.

Trusted Contributor

So glad to hear you're okay. I took a nasty fall like that two weeks ago and ended up breaking my elbow and had to have surgery to put screws and a plate put in to stabilize the bone. Take care and I hope you're not too sore.

Honored Contributor

First and more importantly, I'm glad you are not seriously hurt.

The way you described your fall reminded me of March...last year; at the height of COVID.

I was standing in the foyer, my front door partially opened.  My friend was on the outside.  We'd been talking for about 10 minutes when Bill the cat decided he was going to run outside!

He is an inside cat.  He's never tried to get outside.  

I bent down to grab him and his body slipped through my hands.  There he was with his feet moving but he was not going anywhere.  I had a hold of his tail.

Before I knew it...my feet slipped on the rug and..trying to get my feet under me...I propelled my body up against the steps.  The minute my back hit the step and my head hit the step above it.

The pain was terrible.  When I was I8 I fractured 3 vertebrae.  It healed but as arthritis set in (I'm 74); the back pain even before this accident was terrible.  I was being treated for the pain.

At that time we were being told to stay away from hospitals.  I have a blood disease where I have very little immunity so I had no choice but to stay away.

I laid in bed for 2 weeks in severe pain.  My back Drs office had closed down because several people there had COVID.

My daughter kept calling.  She lives in Colorado.  She hopped on a plane.  She took over my care.  She found one of my back Dr's offices and made appointment for me to see his associate.  She found a place where I could get an MRI done.

My vertebra had been fractured into 2 pieces.  But it had started healing incorrectly.  Finally, I went to an associate in his office.  She took large and small mallets and a chisel.  She broke it open, poured cement into it.

It has been healing but I'm still left it severe pain 24/7.  Because of where the bone is affected, there hasn't been much I can do...until now.  I did a Skype appointment with my PA and she said there's a brand new procedure that might be something that would relieve some of my pain.

I think most Drs would all agree that falls are one of the worst things that can happen to seniors.

I'm so happy that you aren't hurt badly.  I hope everyone is careful.

Respected Contributor

I know how you feel. I was pulling weeds today and then I pulled my pool robot out of the pool and I was walking across the patio and I lost my balance and robot when flying to. I'm ok and I'm allso 50. Hope you continue to feel good. Sometimes the next morning you feel it.

Respected Contributor

I think you'll be sore tomorrow. Glad you didn't break anything.