Super Contributor

Guess you or whomever took these pictures do not know the meaning of the word private- this family, my senator from my great state of AZ had already endured a public showing- this was their time with their loved one and I resent these pictures being taken by anyone- it would be up to the family to release pictures of his final goodbye not ours

Esteemed Contributor

@arizona babe wrote:

Guess you or whomever took these pictures do not know the meaning of the word private- this family, my senator from my great state of AZ had already endured a public showing- this was their time with their loved one and I resent these pictures being taken by anyone- it would be up to the family to release pictures of his final goodbye not ours

@arizona babe Agreed.  Although I knew the insatiable media would be there not respecting the desire for privacy. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@151949 wrote:

How many young soldiers are coming home every day in a flag draped coffin leaving behind young widows and small children to struggle emotionally and financially ?

Too many.

Thankfully fewer than before. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

John McCain lived a long,productive life.  A lot of people aren't given that privilege.  But I'm sure that doesn't lessen the grief the family endures today.  The ceremonies were magnificent.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@arizona babe wrote:

@arizona babe  The McCain family did release these pictures, taken by David Hume Kennerly.  The first picture of Mrs. McCain was authorized by the family.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

What is so sad is the fact that some folks have to criticise.....  We were very fortunate that the ceremonies were shared with us.  Personally, I am glad they were.....

Honored Contributor

While there were similar pictures of Mrs. McCain taken in Arizona and at the Capitol, this is particularly poignant in that it was undoubtedly the final goodbye. It was a personal moment and while the photograph is exceptional it does feel intrusive. That said, someone, somewhere along the line decided they wanted a multi-venue, 'state' funeral and so that's what they got, complete with media coverage of every nuance. From the church service to lying in state in Arizona to lying in state at the US Capitol, the funeral at the National Cathedral, speeches, condolences and eulogies at every stop, to finally the Naval Academy burial there was bound to be coverage. Though the last stop was touted as 'private', I'm not sure the motorcade into Annapolis, filling the chapel for yet another service, more eulogies, hundreds of uniformed middies, the horse and caisson and the jet flyover were conducive to it being so... As far as it goes, it seems to me the media showed more restraint than I'd have anticipated for the final stop.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@arizona babe wrote:

With all due respect, had the McCain family wanted a truly private burial, there were ways to have achieved it... I'm no fan of the media, but again, I think they showed appropriate restraint, despite the reality that the final stop in Annapolis was hardly a 'simple graveside service'...  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

He planned most of these services himself prior to his passing

If he or the family wanted private they would have had that-

all the pomp and circumstamce was at his and the family's direction

including  the photographs and realease of them and media surrounding it all week

Honored Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

He planned most of these services himself prior to his passing

If he or the family wanted private they would have had that-

all the pomp and circumstamce was at his and the family's direction

including  the photographs and realease of them and media surrounding it all week

@JobGirl  And Kennerly's name is attached to all the photos.  (His photography is well known.)

I can't be certain of his relationship to the family but he isn't posting without their knowledge.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh