Honored Contributor

I got an alert on my phone around 8:45 AM that a snowsquall would be hitting me at 9:15 this morning leading to white-out type conditions. I looked out the window when I got the alert and it was sunny and barely a cloud in the sky. "Stupid weather people! It's not going to snow!" Then at 9:15, it started snowing like mad. The snow is tapering off now (9:26) and the sun is about to break out again. Kudos to the weather folks for getting this one right. It's handy having the weather alerts active on your phone to avoid getting caught in those sudden squalls. And now (9:29) the snow has stopped and the sun is back out again. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I got the same alert (southeastern PA).  It seemed kind of silly, especially as I'm from western NY, where lake-effect snow squalls are common.  But I suppose snow squall alerts would be useful information to folks travelling, for example, on the turnpike, helping prevent one of those massive pile-ups.

As for the alert, the squall didn't materialize here;  I was a little disappointed.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Gardenman - We got the same weather. It is nice and sunny with lots of blue sky and a few white clouds.

Then a big dark cloud came through and it was snowing. Dog wouldn't come back into the house until it stopped - 5 minutes later.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Snowsquall!

[ Edited ]

Same thing here in upstate NY ~ alert sounded about 9:30.......squal started about 10:15 and WOW it was something!!

Trusted Contributor

I got one of those on that day that NYC got their squall that was all over Twiter. We got ours an hour later or so but never got the snow. Glad yours was accurate gman.

I did notce that the NWS television alerts have ramped up this year. They start the day before a storm and sometimes start going every hour. Geez we get it, it's going to snow in NY.

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman  I got the same alert and thought the same as you.  Then, a snow squall!  The sun is now out, the temp is up, and it is looking to be a beautiful day, though windy, here in Delaware.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

We have all those alerts off on our phones except for the Presidential alert which cannot be turned off.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I got an alert on my phone around 8:45 AM that a snowsquall would be hitting me at 9:15 this morning leading to white-out type conditions. I looked out the window when I got the alert and it was sunny and barely a cloud in the sky. "Stupid weather people! It's not going to snow!" Then at 9:15, it started snowing like mad. The snow is tapering off now (9:26) and the sun is about to break out again. Kudos to the weather folks for getting this one right. It's handy having the weather alerts active on your phone to avoid getting caught in those sudden squalls. And now (9:29) the snow has stopped and the sun is back out again. 

@gardenman 

WOW!!! 😮  And I thought Texas weather was unpredictable....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

1. @ValuSkr wrote:

I got the same alert (southeastern PA).  It seemed kind of silly, especially as I'm from western NY, where lake-effect snow squalls are common.  But I suppose snow squall alerts would be useful information to folks travelling, for example, on the turnpike, helping prevent one of those massive pile-ups.

As for the alert, the squall didn't materialize here;  I was a little disappointed.  Smiley Happy

@ValuSkr.  Thank you for including your location.  I was wondering where all of this was going on.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment