Esteemed Contributor

Next year I'll be turning the big 5-0.

I don't feel that old.

I still think of myself as being in my 30's.

There are things that I need to take care of.

Life insurance is one, but with no family, who to name as my beneficiary?

Will is another, but again, who do I leave my krap to?

Also, my very first colonoscopy.

I can't believe that next year I'll be 50.

So, do you ever feel your age, or do you think of yourself as being younger than your actual years?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

I still think young, mostly. But then my body reminds me of my real age. Still shocks me that I'm older now. Anyway, I thank God for bringing me this far. 

Oh, the colonoscopy is nothing. I dreaded it and it wasn't bad at all. Even the prep wasn't that bad. They've improved on that now. Smiley Happy

Be well and have a great year.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Feel Your Age?

[ Edited ]

I don't feel my age. I'm almost 69. I found that being in the 50's was a huge time of transition. It was a time of dealing with caring for aging parents and dealing with their passing. My DH recently passed, so I am now alone and dealing with my own unknown future, which is really scary.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I do not feel 64, no one believes I am 64.   I don’t think of myself as being younger, but appreciate when others don’t think of me as being 64.    

@Anonymous032819,

I am a bit curious as to why you are interested in buying life insurance at this stage of life?   

As for colonoscopy, I just had my 4th one a few weeks ago.   My suggestion with the Suprep laxative is to mix it with ice cold ginger ale and drink it fast thru a straw.   Ginger ale is the only fluid I’ve found that makes this concoction palatable for me.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

No, I do not feel 64, no one believes I am 64.   I don’t think of myself as being younger, but appreciate when others don’t think of me as being 64.    

@Anonymous032819,

I am a bit curious as to why you are interested in buying life insurance at this stage of life?   

@RedTop 

Don't I need to buy life insurance sooner or later?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819.....if you don't have any family or anyone to leave anything to, you don't need life insurance. Why pay for something you don't need.

As far as a will, it's good to have one, even if you don't have anyone to leave anything to. You might consider leaving your "estate" to the charity of your choice.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Yes.

I'm 60.. about to turn 61 next month.

I feel it in my waning energy level and I feel it in my aching knees, but I also feel it in positive ways. I know which things bring me joy and I've learned to say no to the things that don't.  I'm happy to have made it to this age and if I'm fortunate enough to make it to retirement, I'm looking forward to that chapter, as well. 

Several of my friends have passed in the last couple of years. When I'm having a tough day I think how happy they'd be to have the chance to be a 60 year old woman with achy knees. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819,

I view life insurance as what I’m leaving behind for my husband and children when I die.   I carried a large amount under group policy when I worked, and converted a portion of that to a private policy when I retired.   I’ve had a private insurance policy ever since I married.

Policy rates are higher with each decade, so now you will pay higher premiums for less insurance coverage than you would’ve gotten in your 20’s or 30’s.    I’m just not understanding the point of paying for life insurance if you don’t have a spouse, child, sibling, etc., to leave the payoff benefit to.   

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

No, you don't need it.   The purpose of Life Insurance is for people who depend financially on you to not be left in dire straights when you die and your financial support ends.   If you don't have anyone that you support, you don't need it.    Now, if you want a small term policy to pay your burial expenses or just for someone you care about to get a little windfall, that's not a need situation but you can surely do that.

Never buy whole life insurance.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Age doesn’t have a “feeling.”