Honored Contributor

I LOVED my father dearly, he died at the age of 55 when I was 16. He smoked unfiltered cigarettes and more than likely 2 packs a day. He always had the scent of cigarettes on him no matter how much he showered. 

I DO NOT think of him fondly when someone lights up near me! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

My father smoked as did my grandfather so I like the smell of cigarette smoke because it reminds me of them.

I don't mind people smoking in my home or car. I would never expect a guest to go outside to smoke anymore than I would ask them to remove their shoes, or shove coasters under their drink. My home is meant for living, it can be cleaned, anything damaged can be replaced.

Smoking is a health risk and so is the food most people eat. Living is risky if you wish to enjoy it. Some people enjoy Big Macs, some enjoy smoking and, for them, it's worth the risk. No matter what we do or avoid, tomorow is promised to no one; no one lives forever.

Your lungs, or those of any children or pets in your home or car, can't be replaced if damaged by secondhand smoke. Certainly your choice to take that risk for yourself though. 

Respected Contributor

When I smoked, I came up with a solution to the no ashtray problem. Instead of recycling a can of pop, I'd fill it with a bit of water, put it in the cup holder then put my cigarette out in it. When I got to my destination, I'd throw it away. Then used hand sanitizer because my hands stunk. Only smoked with car windows down  but Gosh, did my car STINK with that in there.

Certainly, you can't throw cigarette butts out in dry areas....fires galore. That's quite scary. I'm surprised to read just how much trash is laying in the beaches, etc.  

Im praying for all my fellow smokers to please try and get the wicked monkey off your back. It's only been a year for me, but I have freedom!  Not worried WHEN and where I can light up. I could get on a plane and not worry about 5 hrs with no smokes.

So QUIT and buy yourself a BMW, remodel your kitchen and try not to break your teeth chewing on a Tootsie Pop....yes, I cracked 3 teeth! 

Frequent Contributor

Wow... What mean selcentered some of these comments are.. I wonde rif the do gooders judgers are perfect... I am sad to see this... Smoking is legal the last time I looked... Do you drink eat sugar smell the fumes from cars. The do gooders are ruining things.

I don't smoke but the rude comments by some membersr saying people stink etc... How crul I just hope you have no bad habits.. I feel sorry for you..

Everyone has the right to their opion but to be nasty selrighous judgemental and mean...

No one is perfect... If people want to smok it is their right its legal you don't like it then stay away.. But let me tell you ... You cannot live in a bubble...I bet people don't agree with everything you do either.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

How much is a pack of cigarettes now?   

Around here, around $6 to 7$ for premium brands.

About 5 years ago when I was working, someone in my office asked if I would pick up a pack of smokes while I was out. I almost fainted when the guy said it was $11.00!  I smoked a long time ago when I was in my twenty's and my friends and I would party at night, we always said we would quit when a pack went up to $2.00, lol!  

Honored Contributor

So expensive a habit. Dangerous to all just making the cig companies rich.

I can't believe folks who are medically employed who see up close and personal the damage cigs do still smoke. 

What it comes down to is do you want that feeling more then you want to live ? Plain and simple. Just those commercials on TV would be enough to choke a maggot. I have to turn my head and mute the sound.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I have seen so many comments on here that people do not understand how smokers can know the risks of smoking and continue. I don't understand how they cannot understand. People know the risks of having a bad diet and eating too much sugar (which kills more people) yet they still do that. It seems that knowing the risks of smoking yet still doing it bothers more people than knowing the risks of eating poorly yet still doing it. Sugar of course is a cause for obesity and diabetes but a major cause of heart disease, different types of cancers and is now being linked to Alzheimer's. I don't see these same types of comments when people know the risks of eating too much sugar or other junk yet still do it. Just like I have seen people who experience COPD or lung cancer and still smoke I have seen people killing themselves with their diet and still continue.

There are definitely people out there who "eat too much sugar." Quite a good percentage of them are normal weight - even on the thin side. They are lucky in their metabolism. They are the "unknown" sugar consumers because they don't "look like" they would be high sugar consumers.

But someone who is overweight is automatically pegged as (1) a glutton and over-eater, (2) a high sugar consumer, (3) diabetic solely because of #1 and #2 - whether it's true or not.

I once had a vegetarian friend who was stick-thin and always sick (her healthy immune system soooo wasn't). She often commented, when we went out to eat, that I ate less than half the amount she routinely did. She also had a sister who was overweight whom she also knew didn't eat much and was athletic as well, and she knew firsthand that being overweight was not "just" from over-eating.

But stereotypes persist. We need them. They fulfill our desire to feel superior.

I wasn't trying to imply that only people who are overweight lead unhealthy lives because of diet. There are many unhealthy skinny people out there. My point was that it seems to bother some people more here if you smoke despite knowing the risks vs eat poorly knowing the risks @Moonchilde. I wasn't trying to pick on smokers nor people who are overweight I was just observing how it seems as though many people on here couldn't believe others would know the risks yet still do something bad for them. I was pointing out that many know the risks of a sustained bad diet yet they still do that. There are many things people know are bad for them but still do it. Smoking just seems to be one that causes more outrage. At least here.

I said sugar was A cause for diabetes not THE cause. However about 90% of type 2 diabetics are overweight. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

People have a right to smoke/vape - just not deposit it into my lungs.  My mother's smoking gave me asthma as an adult.  Secondhand smoke is a proven health hazzard.  People can eat fattening food all day long - it doesn't affect my health directly like smoke does.

Honored Contributor

I don't like people throwing cigarette butts on the ground but I also don't like finding Big Mac and candy bar wrappers and coke cans either. 

Honored Contributor

I live in DRY, DRY Tx.  I pray nobody drops anything hot on the ground or we all could lose our lives and our homes. Personal responsibility should be taught.

Cal. is burning now, I don't know if they found what set that off or not.

Our last fire was caused by idiots grilling hamburgers and let the flame get out of control. They lost their house and lots of acres burned, but, nobody died---this time.

If you want to kill yourself, Ok, but, don't throw your cig butt on the ground in Tx. and make me dead or homeless. Knowing , my homeowneres insurance,  would say "Act of God' and I would have nothing, lose everything.