Honored Contributor

Smart home devices can be hacked using a laser beam

Smart home devices such as Alexa can be hacked using a laser through a window. Some people in the forum have been discussing the current hackings. Tests have shown that no knowledge of a password is needed. Here is just one article that explains how it is done. https://futurism.com/hack-alexa-laser-window/amp
Respected Contributor

Re: Smart home devices can be hacked using a laser beam

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:
Smart home devices such as Alexa can be hacked using a laser through a window. Some people in the forum have been discussing the current hackings. Tests have shown that no knowledge of a password is needed. Here is just one article that explains how it is done. https://futurism.com/hack-alexa-laser-window/amp

LOL, I could care less, probably because no one would care about using a laser through one of my windows to hack one of my Alexa devices. My number one request is what's the temperature?

in the meantime Facebook just dropped 600 acounts made by artificial people created by an AI scam out of Vietnam. They had 50 million followers, that's something to be really worried about.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I am tempted to give up all of my devices except for my computer and go back to landline only. It is crazy and it bothers me. I recently bought a soundbar with Alexa that I havent hooked up yet. I dont want to activate Alexa and dont think I need to. But these things are insidous I dont even want Alexa in my home. I have nothing to hide but why do I want to be spied on? 

It absolutely amazes me that people dont care. 

Esteemed Contributor

I feel that some on this forum are paranoid ( and one poster seems to be their queen and feed this frenzy).  I enjoy technology and we love all our Echos etc.  I do due diligence but don't want to return to the 1950s.

Honored Contributor

I' not a Luddite, and I like the tech that I have, but I simply have no desire for an Alexa or any of her friends. LOL 😝 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Some of my family memebers have Alexa.

She never seems to understand me.

Lol, my daughter told me yesterday I don't have to get up so close to her.

I said oh like facebook? 

My son told me , Mom I love your ceiling but all I can see is that and your forehead lol!

Well, still tryingSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

We both worked in IT for 45 years.  BOTH of us decided to unplug all the Alexa's.  

It isn't paranoid.  It's cause we know what can be done. It's spyware.  Whether or not it is used for that, bottom line, that's what it is. 

Honored Contributor

I will never have a device in my home that watches or listens to me and I'm far from paranoid. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I will never have a device in my home that watches or listens to me and I'm far from paranoid. 

That makes two of us.

Esteemed Contributor

Not that any of my Echo devices could be located through a window but if someone tries it better not be a red laser beam unless they are accompanied by a SWAT team in which case Alexa would be the last thing on their minds.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.