Honored Contributor

While I don't think polygamy is actually legal in ANY state, I don't understand the Utah thing about cohabitation. Who cares who all lives together? As long as only one of the women is married to the man it seems weird that the state would make a call as to who all he can have in his family/house.

In every state, to the best of my knowledge anyway, you can only hold one legal marriage license at a time. What they do in some religions is to have religious ceremonies 'marrying' the additional wives. So, they are never legal marriages beyond the first one. They are recognized by the given religion/cult ONLY.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/7/2015 chickenbutt said:

While I don't think polygamy is actually legal in ANY state, I don't understand the Utah thing about cohabitation. Who cares who all lives together? As long as only one of the women is married to the man it seems weird that the state would make a call as to who all he can have in his family/house.

In every state, to the best of my knowledge anyway, you can only hold one legal marriage license at a time. What they do in some religions is to have religious ceremonies 'marrying' the additional wives. So, they are never legal marriages beyond the first one. They are recognized by the given religion/cult ONLY.

My guess is Utah originally had that clause enacted in their law to try to crack down on polygamy, which is, or was, more prevalent in Utah than anywhere else. I think the law itself dates back quite awhile.

The State would prosecute anyone they thought was practicing polygamy, particularly since the Mormon religion officially does not sanction plural marriage and has not for quite some time.

Of course, it's a lot different these days than when they crafted that law and no one cares any more who lives with who.

But apparently they sure used to care in Utah.

Just my speculation anyway. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Kody will get a younger 5th wife. I really don't think Robyn wants another child. I see Meri staying, and the rest leaving once the show is off the air.

Regular Contributor

I think Kody will take a fifth wife also. He only has seven boys out of the 17 children. I don't know if Robyn's son Dayton has been adopted by Kody. Lineage is important.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/7/2015 Peaches McPhee said:
On 1/7/2015 sophiamarie said:
On 1/6/2015 september said: SStar..I think the word you were trying to use is polygamy. Now that you know how to spell it, why don't you google it..and you'll learn that is is NOT legal in Utah.

I believe plogomy is legal in Utah and if it isn't, it should be. Wink

It is not legal. That is why they left Utah and moved to Nevada -- Utah was reportedly going to prosecute them for polygamy.

(Why, yes, I do watch this show!)

Hi Peaches, I think sophiamarie is poking fun at the prior misspelling of polygamy. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor
On 1/7/2015 missy1 said:

Kody will get a younger 5th wife. I really don't think Robyn wants another child. I see Meri staying, and the rest leaving once the show is off the air.

Why on earth would they leave?

Esteemed Contributor

Meri has always been a mess. She is overweight, her skin is greasy & broken out & her hair always looks uncombed. Kody needs to divorce her, leave them all & marry Janelle if he wants to be married. They get a hefty salary from TLC to pay for those houses. The ones not married need to get child support, not government assistance.

They are no different than a man & woman living together that are not married or a group. I don't see anything illegal.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/6/2015 september said: SStar..I think the word you were trying to use is polygamy. Now that you know how to spell it, why don't you google it..and you'll learn that is is NOT legal in Utah.

It is not legal. That is why they left Utah and moved to Nevada -- Utah was reportedly going to prosecute them for polygamy.

I was talking about "plogomy"...... Wink

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/7/2015 Karena said:

Hi Peaches, I think sophiamarie is poking fun at the prior misspelling of polygamy. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Karena: Thanks. I just saw your post. Wink

Honored Contributor
Sophiamarie......I got it and had to laugh! But I disagree, because I think plogamy is illegal everywhere!