Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

What is to happen to all the ordinary and extraordinary malls across our country? Maybe some of our smart Americans will come up with a way to turn them into some kind of business ventures and increase jobs and economy for everyone.

What is inside the malls will change. The traditional formula of 2-4 major anchor stores and the same small chains, etc. isn't all that viable any more and hasn't been for awhile. Once an anchor store has disappeared, the mall is left with a huge hole in it and often there's no other store that wants to, or is capable of, replacing it. Malls are having to reinvent themselves.

My nearest town is doing this. The medium-large indoor mall is undergoing a complete 2-3 year remodel. When it's completed, one entire floor will contain arcade and other electronic games. The mall will also be completely ethnic, geared totally to the local population. Music of the culture is, and has been for the past two years, played exclusively within the mall, in another language.  All "shoppers" announcements are also only broadcast in another language, not English.  This isn't just my opinion, it's the announced plan from the mall owners, in print.

To me, this is only going to create more of an "us vs them" mentality, a physical, economical and social segregation of different segments of society that might be good for the mall owners moneywise but is just unhealthy overall, IMO.

OTOH, it depends on whether you live in a booming area or not. Yesterday I was in San Jose, the largest city in Silicon Valley. They are revamping and enlarging a huge enclosed Westfield mall that contains all types of stores from high-end to ordinary.  It was so busy, I couldn't even get in the parking lot. They wouldn't be spending that kind of money if they felt malls were all going down the tubes.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I would never go to a mall that had a ton of arcade games. Hope that isn't the wave of the future.

Honored Contributor

The malls around me are very busy.  No empty stores - in fact they just put on a large addition to one.   I like to shop on-line but I often take returns to the stores to avoid return shipping.  

We have a new Whole Foods under construction.  It will be interesting what happens with that.  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I would never go to a mall that had a ton of arcade games. Hope that isn't the wave of the future.

I think the wave of the future is to encourage those under 30 to shop, and those with children. That is the future; over 50s are not. To me, that's just logic. Baby boomers have been told they are "the" important demographic for so long they can't conceive of business/society catering to any other demographic. It's happening and it will continue.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

I think the wave of the future is to encourage those under 30 to shop, and those with children. That is the future; over 50s are not. To me, that's just logic. Baby boomers have been told they are "the" important demographic for so long they can't conceive of business/society catering to any other demographic. It's happening and it will continue.

Makes sense. Let's just hope that demographic have jobs, stable jobs. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden@itsmagic

Don't most of us realize that as our choices broadened to include readily-available internet purchasing, brick and mortar stores would inevitably fail?

I am saddened by the failing of malls and brick and mortar stores, but still choose to shop by internet.

@LTT1  Yes it is just the future....as when cars took over horseback for travel...major shift in thought. Unstoppable.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

What is to happen to all the ordinary and extraordinary malls across our country? Maybe some of our smart Americans will come up with a way to turn them into some kind of business ventures and increase jobs and economy for everyone.

What is inside the malls will change. The traditional formula of 2-4 major anchor stores and the same small chains, etc. isn't all that viable any more and hasn't been for awhile. Once an anchor store has disappeared, the mall is left with a huge hole in it and often there's no other store that wants to, or is capable of, replacing it. Malls are having to reinvent themselves.

My nearest town is doing this. The medium-large indoor mall is undergoing a complete 2-3 year remodel. When it's completed, one entire floor will contain arcade and other electronic games. The mall will also be completely ethnic, geared totally to the local population. Music of the culture is, and has been for the past two years, played exclusively within the mall, in another language.  All "shoppers" announcements are also only broadcast in another language, not English.  This isn't just my opinion, it's the announced plan from the mall owners, in print.

To me, this is only going to create more of an "us vs them" mentality, a physical, economical and social segregation of different segments of society that might be good for the mall owners moneywise but is just unhealthy overall, IMO.

OTOH, it depends on whether you live in a booming area or not. Yesterday I was in San Jose, the largest city in Silicon Valley. They are revamping and enlarging a huge enclosed Westfield mall that contains all types of stores from high-end to ordinary.  It was so busy, I couldn't even get in the parking lot. They wouldn't be spending that kind of money if they felt malls were all going down the tubes.

Very interesting post @Moonchilde.  I think I know the Westfield mall that you're talking about. When we'd go to Sunnyvale I'd make my hubby drop me off there because it's a fabulous mall and ALWAYS packed.

If recreation is going to be added to malls I'd like to see venues like ice rinks and bowling alleys - venues that as standalone entities have closed. I think putting them with a mall would encourage parents to drop their kids off for some exercise and fun while they could shop yet be nearby.

Do kids even play at arcades these days?

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Very interesting post @Moonchilde.  I think I know the Westfield mall that you're talking about. When we'd go to Sunnyvale I'd make my hubby drop me off there because it's a fabulous mall and ALWAYS packed.

If recreation is going to be added to malls I'd like to see venues like ice rinks and bowling alleys - venues that as standalone entities have closed. I think putting them with a mall would encourage parents to drop their kids off for some exercise and fun while they could shop yet be nearby.

Do kids even play at arcades these days?

@sandraskates, just to be clear - the arcade bit is going into my local mall - a far, far cry from the San Jose mall. I doubt very much it would be needed or wanted in the San Jose demographic, down the block from Santana Row (at which I lunched for the first time yesterday). I do think there will probably be other types of recreation that will become part of malls - suited to the demographic and $$ of the given area.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde- yes, I understood where the arcade was going was at your local mall and not at that wonderful Westfield. :-)

Also seems like the Santana Row model is taking hold in other areas too.

I can think of two malls in the Los Angeles area that were remodeled or added on with outside shops like Santana Row. They are very pleasant to walk around, shop and have a nice meal.

Honored Contributor

Saw this thought it was about signs of the end times!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.