Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

The greed of the higher ups within Sears deserve everything they are getting, they chose money over loyal employees & quality, now they can watch their empire fall down around them, karma has once again shown that greed never wins!

Gee.  Do you hate all corporations?  Maybe they just didn't get with the times we are living with? The greediest of all is Jeff Bezos of Amazon.  Wait and see what he does with Whole Foods Market.  He Is already trying to get rid of human employees.  Why do you post here, if you find corporations so greedy?  

Valued Contributor

In my area, people want to walk to shops with their dogs on leads and children in strollers. The busy shopping areas are streets with shops, casual restaurants and coffee shops with sidewalk seating, a food market, drugstore, etc. 

Neighborhoods near our small downtowns are becoming very desirable because the weather is conducive to being outdoors and people prefer that to malls. 

I even see it when I visit places with less moderate weather so maybe what is old is new again.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

The malls destroyed downtown shopping. Now the internet is doing the same to the malls. I live in a small city. We've always had very few choices about where to shop. Now the world is my oyster. I can get whatever I want and comparison shop. I just bought two pairs of one of my favorite shoe brands, Pikolinos, at significant savings. Having worn the brand for years, I know my size and I know which type of style fits me best. So, in a few days, two pairs of shoes will be delivered right to my front door. Malls just can't compete with that.

I have found this to be true for me too. But this is my concern about losing so many local stores that sell accesoories, shoes, and clothing--how do I know what will fit if I've never tried on the brand or that particular style? Then it becomes a game of chance and the bother of returns. At some point I will be interested in something other than what I have bought before.

I like to see and feel the material of a garment, which can instantly make me change my mind. Colors are often radically different from being seen on devices than in person so matching something already in your closet can be tricky. Has the fun of a shopping day been replaced with sitting in front of a computer and clicking? Half of what I purchase is usually the result of something unexpected catching my eye across the store. Just some musings on shopping. I will no choice but to adapt to what the future brings.

Honored Contributor

Weird.

Here in DFW, there's been an influx of Memorial Day/Fourth of July

Sear commercials.  Every time one comes on I think,

'aren't you closing?'

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden@itsmagic

Don't most of us realize that as our choices broadened to include readily-available internet purchasing, brick and mortar stores would inevitably fail?

I am saddened by the failing of malls and brick and mortar stores, but still choose to shop by internet.

As we move through the decades we have experienced dramatic changes in virtually most parts of our lives. Many of us are saddened when changes occur, even those that improve our way of life. Memories are, or can be forever, reality cannot.

Our Sears store is barely a shadow of it's past. I purchased many different things from Sears, some in the 4 digit $$$$ category. Now most of my purchases are online retailers for many, to me, good reasons. Costs are and always have been a deciding factor for my purchases, brick store/mail order, and now online. Quality of items/trust and Customer service are close behind.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

What is to happen to all the ordinary and extraordinary malls across our country? Maybe some of our smart Americans will come up with a way to turn them into some kind of business ventures and increase jobs and economy for everyone.

Honored Contributor

Sears stores have always been unappealing. Unattractive displays, lighting, frumpy clothing. Not a happy place to shop.

I prefer shopping in B&M stores, not only can I touch, try on; I get exercise walking about. No wonder people keep getting fatter, all they do is sit in front of tvs and computers while eating snacks.

Honored Contributor

@febe1

With the increase of online purchases comes the need for many more warehouses to store and distribute goods purchased online. Along with inventory comes more workers in many facets of that place of business. This includes high tech IT personal and many other low and/or moderately skilled workers.

And with more in the private sector looking more optimistically at the future of businesses of opening in the USA via the rising stock markets?  Where many big buildings exist, they can be modernized to fit the changing ways of how people purchase their products. 

That is how I optimistically look at the futures when it comes to businesses and jobs.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Sears stores have always been unappealing. Unattractive displays, lighting, frumpy clothing. Not a happy place to shop.

I prefer shopping in B&M stores, not only can I touch, try on; I get exercise walking about. No wonder people keep getting fatter, all they do is sit in front of tvs and computers while eating snacks.

I totally agree. I always found going into Sears unpleasant. We often have to walk through it to get to the rest of the mall because that is the only side of the mall you can find parking and it is always dead. I feel the same way about jcpennys. They've both run their course and don't keep up with the times. Sears' offerings are unappealing, outdated and uninspired.

Like another poster mentioned, I like to see and feel and try on clothes in person. There are certain fabrics I don't like to wear, even if the shirt or sweater is pretty. I have very hard to fit feet for shoes (platypus, they call it and a very high arch) so it is mandatory I try out a new brand in person first. So many brands/styles don't fit well. BUT once I establish what works or doesn't, I prefer online since it almost always is cheaper. I also find it weird they places like Macy's won't even price match the prices online from their very own website!? Where, then, is the incentive for me to buy in store vs. online!?

Respected Contributor

Re: Signs of the end....

[ Edited ]

About Bezos' plans for Whole Foods, I have heard he will be allowing more foreign food that is claiming to be organic, while there is no inspector from the USA to prove it. I've already seen this elsewhere such as cashews from Spain with the green USDA Organic insignia. That doesn't sit well with me.  Anything marked USDA should be something grown in the USA. How they are able to get away with it is frightening, imo.