Esteemed Contributor

Dr. William Ury (Harvard & Abraham Project) says it well -- "Differences become conflict when emotions get involved." 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

I think the Meghan Markle thread going on right now is a good example. 

Some people are having a blast discussing what she wore at the Invictus Games.

Other people JUST CAN'T STAND THIS.  Accusations about being out of touch old ladies appear regularly.

Nobody reacts, so the thread has lasted the length of the games.

@stuyvesant

This is an excellent example of what the OP was talking about.

Trusted Contributor

There are a lot of fragile people here, and moderators who censor too much on these boards.  I wonder how some navigate the real world being so fragile.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

We can not have discussions about the things that are happening in our world ,without some one deciding they want to say things that gets it shut down.

Why bother discussing it here, if you know there will be different views?  It’s ok for us to have a different opinions.  

Respected Contributor

You know, if people were talking because they were truly invested in the subject. If they felt compelled to join a discussion because they felt it was important to them, their family, their community or their world.

Those things would be interesting.

That people just want to push buttons & say buzzwords that they know will cause people to get all riled up is just becoming boring.

You see it here. You see it on ANY story on Yahoo.

It's just too predictalble & snore inducing.

I suppose it makes them feel powerful, but geeze, it's pitiful.

Honored Contributor

There was an extremely thoughtful thread yesterday from @sidsmom and there appeared to be a lurker who more than likely had it shut down. Woman Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

So many times people just porpoisely say things to shut down ,do we have to argue over everything?

To add a note of levity to the argument:

:images.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

You know, if people were talking because they were truly invested in the subject. If they felt compelled to join a discussion because they felt it was important to them, their family, their community or their world.

Those things would be interesting.

That people just want to push buttons & say buzzwords that they know will cause people to get all riled up is just becoming boring.

You see it here. You see it on ANY story on Yahoo.

It's just too predictalble & snore inducing.

I suppose it makes them feel powerful, but geeze, it's pitiful.

I agree.  I try to ignore posts of the type you mentioned..

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I wonder where you can go to talk about current events online ...

@dex there is a forum called "debate politics" It has a general section too.

Honored Contributor

@Lila4Now wrote:

There are a lot of fragile people here, and moderators who censor too much on these boards.  I wonder how some navigate the real world being so fragile.

While this is true, there are multiple reasons people will post “things that get a thread shut down” or ruined.

Some people will just never get that politics in any frame of reference is not permitted. They keep insisting “it’s not political” when it clearly is. And they keep trying.

There are for sure posters whose major enjoyment is posting trollish baiting comments guaranteed to stir up rudeness, politics, etc and who post specifically to trash a thread - any thread they can. They will very obviously post the exact opposite of what a majority are expressing/discussing, often in technicolor. It boggles my mind that people bite on these.

And there are posters who only do it to certain other posters they don’t like. Whenever someone starts a thread, or comments in a widely read thread, there will be certain posters who target them, trying hard to get a rise from them, to make them look like an overreactive Bad Guy.

As hard as it might be to do, it is true that threads continue much longer if people just ignore and don’t respond to posts or people they can see would take a thread off-track to personal bickering or politics.

It might seem like the cowardly way out (and the baiters certainly encourage that POV, lol), but actually, ignoring somethng or someone whose only purpose is to get under your skin because they enjoy it, give you power over them.  They can’t “do their thing” if you don’t react. 

A most difficult thing to do, but very effective.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all