Honored Contributor

Re: Shuting down threads

[ Edited ]

I don't know... there are so many reasons for threads being shut down and sadly, most of the time we'll never know the "why".

One in fashion was just shut down and I am CLUELESS as to the reason. No rudeness, no insults, no....nothing.  Just intelligent women commenting.  *shrugs*.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

We can not have discussions about the things that are happening in our world ,without some one deciding they want to say things that gets it shut down.

@goldensrbest

Guess I'll need a "community correct" list(books) of things I can't say in a thread. Might be easier to enlighten me to what I can say. Getting harder by the day to keep from causing anxiety to someone. Hopefully I didn't cross the line in this post. Just expressing an opinion here of course.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

There was an extremely thoughtful thread yesterday from @sidsmom and there appeared to be a lurker who more than likely had it shut down. Woman Sad

sidsmom left a great post on one of my threads and I responded to it by telling her it was well said.   I hope that wasn't the one that was shut down.  I'm going to check it out.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

We can not have discussions about the things that are happening in our world ,without some one deciding they want to say things that gets it shut down.

@goldensrbest

Guess I'll need a "community correct" list(books) of things I can't say in a thread. Might be easier to enlighten me to what I can say. Getting harder by the day to keep from causing anxiety to someone. Hopefully I didn't cross the line in this post. Just expressing an opinion here of course.

hckynut(john)

Expressing an opinion can get you in trouble too.  Either a poster doesn't like your opinion or a moderator doesn't, can't win for losing. Woman Sad

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

I know just speaking about this topic and my own posts...I know I should not be posting if I start to get annoyed. I still have to lecture myself not to do it, because I am 100 miles from perfect behavior. 

Honored Contributor

It’s not having an opinion, or even simply expressing an opinion, that is so much an issue. It’s the way it’s expressed. We know that, inside, whether we admit it or not. At least, most of us know it.

I have learned, throughout my life, that there are people who genuinely feel that they are entitled to say exactly what they please, using the vocabulary they please, on any topic they please, without ever having to give a second thought to whether they are expressing themselves insensitively or inappropriately or not. I’m definitely not speaking of this forum alone - it goes for every other forum out there, as well as discussions in person. Oh yes it happens in person - the abrasive person no one wants to dinner, etc.

Many of these same people will never, ever conceed that they’ve ever said anything rude, insensitive or inappropriate because it’s simply not possible; they never do that, never would/could possibly do that.

And it often goes along with the person stating they don’t care if someone is offended or annoyed by what they’ve said, because clearly it’s always going to be the other people who “have a problem with it”, but the problem is clearly never theirs - and if some people deem it so, too bad.

These are people who, when their posts are deleted, will never conceed there even might have been something against standards in their post(s). Ever. 

Of course, posts and threads are deleted for many reasons, not all of them decipherable to us - for sure. I’m not intending to indict everyone who’s ever had a post removed; I’ve had my share, lol. It comes with the territory. But those who have had posts removed and come unglued about it every.single.time because - COULDN’T be them; think again.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest  Yup. Or like one of mine that got poofed because a reader decided it was baiting ~ and NO, that was not my intention. Sometimes I think people read things into stuff because that's where THEIR mind is.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

it doesn't only happen here ... it happens on a lot of forums.    

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I wonder where you can go to talk about current events online. 

Facebook and Twitter, comment boxes on political sites.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

May be you should address your complaints to moderation.  We all have different perceptions about what someone may be saying on a thread imo.