Honored Contributor

Re: Should he Stay or Should he go ?

Based on what you said, he should go.  Are you willing to continue dating knowing that's as far as it will go.  If he changes his mind, will he eventually resent you.  Need to have an honest talk with yourself, then with him.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with @Trudey and must say I love your optimism that in this age group you feel you'll be able to find another gem like him....especially someone healthy....who wants to marry.

That pool shrinks.

I'm 72, still married to my husband who takes care of himself and is in great shape. I know if he were to die first I would not be lucky enough to find another like him.

Good luck and if you genuinely love him, think very carefully.

Sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with a wonderful man. Those can be hard to come by.

Respected Contributor

If you've already consummated the marriage then what's the big deal? Are you worried that without the piece of paper he will cheat? Finding a trustworthy partner is not easy these days and if he's proven to be the real deal I wouldn't throw him away. He may even surprise you in the future with a proposal after all.  

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes...you should listen to your heart, not us.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Do you know why he is opposed to marrying again? 

His previous marriage ended badly, previous wife ran up bills. But again, I am not that  type and he knows that. I have never asked him to pay any of my bills. We are pretty much on the same level which is good.

Does he have kids?  If so, he could be concerned about complicating his finances and creating a problem when he dies.  Yes, there are wills and trusts - and people sue each other over them all the time.

That's why my MIL never married her boyfriend even though she loved him and was with him until he died. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

stay!!! a piece of paper is nothing, just say your engaged..lol, who cares, sounds like you got a good one..

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes.....are you for or against living together?

Respected Contributor

Trudey wrote:

What will marriage give you that you don't already have?  He sounds like a keeper to me. Marriage is only a piece of paper.

Good question, I have my own home, can come and go as I please, can spend time with my grandsons (21 months and 17 years old) I can watch what I want on TVWoman Very Happy  I guess It's the commitment.  My dear mother even asked me why I would want to get married !!  Maybe I'm asking to much ?   
Honored Contributor

You do not share values. So go! I know you will not, but that is my advice.

Esteemed Contributor

At your age I wouldn't worry about a piece of paper.Good men are hard to find once you get older.If you found one,keep him.If you love ❤️ each other,& he's good to you then you hit the jackpot !! Don't rock the boat. I 'm afraid you might regret leaving him.A man like you describe won't be alone for long!!

Good luck!! 🕊💐