Honored Contributor

Studies have shown that the rate of women drinking while pregnant has dropped to an all-time low this spring.  Increased awareness of the effect of alcohol on fetuses, especially through point-of-sale signage, is credited with the drop.  The decrease was most notable among women over 30 who are heavier drinkers.

This could result in countless children escaping the devastating effects of fetal alcohol syndrome.  Fantastic news!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: More Happy News

[ Edited ]

That's great news. When I was pregnant, in the year dot, the harmful effects of alcohol were not yet known. However, alcohol made me so nauseous that I couldn't drink a drop.   Years later, when my daughters had their babies and more was known about the dire effects of alcohol, I felt very grateful that my body knew what to do even if I didn't.

Honored Contributor

This is good news.

I would have suspected just the opposite, based soley on my observances of the many women I know of child bearing age that drink wine, and daily. 

I wonder what the studies are based on, as I would suspect that this might be something that people aren't always honest about in a survey or a study. 

Honored Contributor

Hi, mominohio.  I do hope the results are accurate.  This info was discussed in a paper presented by Gulcan Cil in the Journal of Health Economics.  I think they said the data was culled from 23 states, which wouldn't necessarily be conclusive, but does seem hopeful, at least. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170418135250.htm

Honored Contributor

That is good news. However, I would like to see a study of how many are using opioids, cocaine, and meth. Some pretty shocking stuff going on out there.

Honored Contributor

RetRN:  Yes.  I've been thinking that maybe breast feeding moms should be tested each month for various recreational dr*gs.  I'm only guessing that many don't think about it; and do they give them a list (before they leave the hospital) of what not to do while breast feeding. (?)  If not, they should.  In large letters, not teeny font letters. ( Btw, I always ask the pharmacy to include medication information is large print.  Especially for senior friends, neighbors, family.  Can't see much re: small print without using a magnifying glass.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Before I was pregnant I drank wine everyday. Once I was pregnant ...no way.  I breastfed and had a scary experience with my son.  He was about 3 months old.  I ate a spring roll that had cabbage in it, and he was sick and gassy for a day.  I felt so awful and really watched what I ate after that.....was the healthiest I've ever been for my son.

I just can't even imagine the poor health - long term of babies born drug addicted.  When I worked with mentally ill women who were pregnant and taking psychotropics I wondered how those would affect the children as well.  Tough call....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Good point, RetRN.  The whole opioid and other drug aspect is terribly worrisome.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

That is good news. However, I would like to see a study of how many are using opioids, cocaine, and meth. Some pretty shocking stuff going on out there.

True and we, as a society, are all going to pay the price for it for many decades to come.   The babies are born with serious birth defects, cognitive deficits, developmental delay,  attachement issues.  All the result of the mother's drug use.  Drug use is on the rise so it isn't stopping those women from using drugs or getting pregnant.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

True and we, as a society, are all going to pay the price for it for many decades to come.   The babies are born with serious birth defects, cognitive deficits, developmental delay,  attachement issues.  All the result of the mother's drug use.  Drug use is on the rise so it isn't stopping those women from using drugs or getting pregnant.  

I remember back in the 1980's, some 30+ years ago, people were concerned about babies being born to drug addicted mothers.

How did those kids turn out?