Respected Contributor

Re: Should We Go to Boston with the Hurricane Coming?

I can't imagine that anyone in their right mind would even for a second entertain the idea of placing themselves in the path of a hurricane.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I think that it would be foolish to go.

It's not just wind and rain, but downed trees, limbs, power lines. There will be power outages, roads flooded, and closed.

Do you really  want to be out in that?

For a wedding?

Sorry, Mom, I know that daughter doesn't want to disappoint her friend, but the friend is just going to have to accept that not everyone will be able to make it, and I would put my foot down and be adamant that we were not going. Period. End of discussion.

The venue may end up canceling anyway, then you would've put yourself and your daughter in danger for no reason.

AMEN!

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If you were just guests then canceling would be reasonable, but since your daughter made a commitment to the bride, that commitment should be honored.

Are you crazy?

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Every day people honor their commitments, no matter the risk, because it's the honorable thing to do, and they are honorable people.

The risk in driving to Boston, which isn't even getting a direct hit, is minor. 

If everyone avoided risk then we wouldn't have police, firefighters, road crews, construction workers, nurses, doctors, EMT's, truck drivers, soldiers, lifeguards...

Are you kidding??? this is a wedding--not a life-risking emergency! 

Honored Contributor

A commitment is a promise. There aren't minor ones that can be disregarded, and only matter when easy to keep.

The hurricane has been downgraded to a tropical storm.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrainThere is only one  commitment of life changing importance that should be considered today and even THAT one has ALLREADY been postponed twice by the Brid and Groom.  So THEY have alresady NOT honored the Comitment they made to the Bridal party.  They can still be married without the OP' DD.  The times of the maid of honor or the best man having to marry the the jilted party and the like are LONG gone.  IF the OP and her daughter were detained,  by injury or worse,  they would not be there to fulfil the comitment anyway.  at least they'll be around to say "Sorry, Life Y'know?"

And as far as that observation that the Hurrichae has been downgraded at 12:32 P.M. on the day of the Wedding,   well, Hindsight is always 20/20

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

A commitment is a promise. There aren't minor ones that can be disregarded, and only matter when easy to keep.

@occasionalrain What about the bride's commitment to people she cares for and loves?  

Also, even if it is a storm with torrential rain the problem is if you don't know the area, it is easy to run into a situation with flowing water, even in town, where you can get stranded or even swept away.  

We see it too frequently where I live because heavy rain, many inches in a short time, is not that uncommin.  And it can happen very fast, even for locals.  

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

A commitment to going to a daughter's friend's wedding can be taken back. She agreed to go to a wedding under normal circumstances, and assumed the circumstances would remain that way. Circumstances have changed. She never committed to going to a wedding with a hurricane or tropical storm going on.

Now the bride and groom need to keep their commitment to being married. But an RSVP has never been considered a sacred oath to be fulfilled come heck or high water, literally.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   After all this lively debate, we want to know the outcome.  Did you go or did you stay?  No criticism please

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think the problem might be that the daughter agreed to be IN the wedding. That's a bit more of a commitment. And she probably doesn't want to go by herself. Still. I think the whole shebang will either be cancelled or performed with only local people. They won't reasonably be expecting to have to take care of out of town guests.

Your excuse, OP, is that you don't want to get in the way with everything going on.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr