Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Should We Go to Boston with the Hurricane Coming?

[ Edited ]

Every day people honor their commitments, no matter the risk, because it's the honorable thing to do, and they are honorable people.

The risk in driving to Boston, which isn't even getting a direct hit, is minor. 

If everyone avoided risk then we wouldn't have police, firefighters, road crews, construction workers, nurses, doctors, EMT's, truck drivers, soldiers, lifeguards...

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Every day people honor there commitments, no matter the risk, because it's the honorable thing to do and they are honorable people.

If everyone avoided risk then we wouldn't have police, firefighters, road crews, construction workers, nurses, doctors, EMT's, truck drivers, soldiers, lifeguards...

Fine, then you can drive right in to the heart of a hurricane.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Every day people honor there commitments, no matter the risk, because it's the honorable thing to do and they are honorable people.

@occasionalrain We would have them, they just wouldn't be using the jaws of life to extracate people whose car was hit by a DUI; getting people out of wrecks where truck drivers fell asleep; no funerals for road crews where someone was killed by someone texting; people who died because they just HAD to climb that mountain in the winter or just HAD to hike alone and with little thought to where they were going, and on and on.

What about how selfish it is to take risks just because you want to that maybe someone else has to risk their own life to drag your butt out of the flood water when you shouldn't have been there in the first place? 

Trusted Contributor

I would not.  I follow a Youtube channel by a woman who lives in Boston.  The hospitals are overwhelmed by the Delta variant.  She and her husband and two kids have been battling it this week.  Her husband is in the hospital and only got a bed because someone else died, freeing up the bed.  Now a hurricane.  I just would not chance it.

Honored Contributor

How are they going to hold a wedding with the hurricane? Poor thing, I'm sure she's just stressed beyond belief with this being her third date for the wedding.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain We would have them, they just wouldn't be using the jaws of life to extracate people whose car was hit by a DUI; getting people out of wrecks where truck drivers fell asleep; no funerals for road crews where someone was killed by someone texting; people who died because they just HAD to climb that mountain in the winter or just HAD to hike alone and with little thought to where they were going, and on and on.

What about how selfish it is to take risks just because you want to that maybe someone else has to risk their own life to drag your butt out of the flood water when you shouldn't have been there in the first place? 

Then driving to Boston, or even to the grocery store, on any day is a risk.

Perhaps the OP's daughter shouldn't have committed to be in her friend's wedding, and those for whom commitments are unimportant, shouldn't make or expect them from others.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I seriously can't believe you wrote this.  It's not about risks, it's about accidents.  Putting yourself in harms way intentionally also puts others lives in danger.

Why create something that common sense can avoid.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised if @beach-mom came back on this thread to tell us the wedding has been postponed/cancelled by the venue.

The forecast isn't good.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I seriously can't believe you wrote this.  It's not about risks, it's about accidents.  Putting yourself in harms way intentionally also puts others lives in danger.

Why create something that common sense can avoid.

@Just Bling 

I can believe that she wrote it.

I actually feel sorry for her.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can absolutely believe some comments made.  Shocking, but not unusual or odd for this place.  Amateur meteorology can be quite dangerous.