Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should We Go to Boston with the Hurricane Coming?

I think that it would be foolish to go.

It's not just wind and rain, but downed trees, limbs, power lines. There will be power outages, roads flooded, and closed.

Do you really  want to be out in that?

For a wedding?

Sorry, Mom, I know that daughter doesn't want to disappoint her friend, but the friend is just going to have to accept that not everyone will be able to make it, and I would put my foot down and be adamant that we were not going. Period. End of discussion.

The venue may end up canceling anyway, then you would've put yourself and your daughter in danger for no reason.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

It's also about the aftermath.  You could be stuck there for a while.  We were without power for 2 weeks after Hurricane Sandy.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom I live in the area. It looks like the state will be shutting down on Sunday.

The Governor told us not to be on the roads. Although  the storm does look like it is tracking further west, the winds are suppossed to be bad east of the storm AND we are in the weekend of astronomically high tides.

A great local station that will give you information that you can access online is  Channel 5 WCVB-tv, their news, website and weather is my go to. That will be the best source of info as to the local impacts.

Monday really looks ok, but Sunday is going to be a mess. 

Good luck, trust your instinct - I am sure the bride will understand - and I hope you get up here when its safer and the weather is more cooperative, there is so much to do in and around Boston. And in the fall New England is beautiful 

Respected Contributor

Absolutely not. No one should knowingly drive right into a hurricane.

That's why we're lucky to have more accurate weather predictions these days. It helps save lives, if we take them seriously.  

It's always better to be safe than sorry. The bride should fully understand, or better yet, cancel again for everyone's safety.  

Respected Contributor

OMG Do you really even have to ask???   I'm in the track of Henri (RI) and have already had 2 alerts on my phone today!  stocked up on cases of water 2 days ago.

We had 4 days with NO power from Sandy and Sandy tracked well west of us!

Respected Contributor

The Governor of MA Is saying  should expect around 100,000-300,000 power outages  from the storm. and is asking everyone to stay home on Sunday.4 to 6 inches of rain with more in some places. 

I wouldn't make the trip.

Honored Contributor

I am a little bit north of this area.  We are hoping for the best, but don't know which way this will go.  

I remember going to a routine manicure appt some years ago when I lived in CA.  The wind was roaring.   We were seeing the onset of a winter storm.  A bride and a bridal party were getting nails done.  The bride was getting constant texts and calls from guests who were cancelling. I was sympathetic, but understood why the guests had to cancel.  Be safe!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@The 11:00 P.M advisory from the National Hurricane Center at NOA will provide an updated storm track tonight. You can go on to the site and look at the updated predicted path and advisory. If the storm if heading to where the wedding is you should not attempt to drive there. There's also a Saturday morning at 8:00 A.M. Advisory for more updated information. Don't go if the storm will be there. The venue will close, the roads will be closed, power will probably be out if the storm is a hurricane.  Chances are that the wedding will have to be rescheduled again. @beach-mom 

Honored Contributor

We're in RI at a rental now. Our week is up tomorrow thank goodness because we are leaving early in the morning to go back to NY. The storm is so far projected to hit our area of NY also if it doesn't change.

Honored Contributor

Safety first.

I would stay home, and I'm sure that indoor videos will be taken so you can view them at a later time.

Wishing the bride and groom and guests safety.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).