Honored Contributor

Re: Should I say something or let it go?

@2blonde wrote:

@Scooty  Excuse me for saying so, but it seems your neighbor is a little dense.  She should see that her hose water is getting into your territory.  I live in a condo, and I'm acutely aware of my impact on my neighbors, although I see increasingly that the newer people are not like me in that regard.

Since she is your friend, you should be able to calmly and nicely mention to her (hopefully during the offense) that her water is causing a problem for you, and let her see it for herself if she hasn't already.  If she really is your friend, she will be sorry and happy to fix the problem.  Living in close quarters these days can be a challenge.

I agree.  If I were watering and there was  overspray going on to someone else's property/house, I would notice it and stop doing it.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why having a little clean water get on some things outside is causing you distress.It rains every afternoon where I live and EVERYTHING outside is soaked. It dries.Why do you care if your driveway gets wet?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If she was using a far reaching sprinkler on her lawn what you do?

It's water, who cares.

Respected Contributor

When it rains water gets on your driveway and cement.  The only thing that might bother me is water on the porch.  When it dries it gets splotchy even if there is a minute amount of dust on the porch.

But being honest, yeah, it may bother me that she isn't a little more aware.

You could offer to water her hanging baskets.  Certainly she will ask why and that is your opportunity to tell her the water is getting all over the place when she uses the hose. 

Honored Contributor

I would not think twice about telling her to stop watering the plants with a hose and why. I could never do the neighborhood living thing.

Honored Contributor

If the area is north facing, wetness/water will turn the patio concrete green if it stays damp.  Also, it will get that dank smell, yuck. I would not want that at an entryway---thank you.

Plus, some people wear their shoes in the house, so going back and forth inside will track that in, even if you have a welcome mat.

She needs to stand over her flowers and use a setting on the hose that only hits her plants.

Tell her that the pavement is always wet when you're coming and going and you'd rather it not be.  Could she please water her plants only.  

Honored Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

I live in a townhouse community.  We have porches and my neighbor who is my friend has hanging baskets on the column on the porch which is next to my driveway.  Every morning before she leaves for work, she takes her garden hose and waters the hanging plants.  Every time the water is on my driveway, on my porch, on my cement in front of my porch, on my flowers in a pot.  The water is now dripping down my driveway or puddling.  I just had the driveway seal coated last week and of course by now it’s ok to drive on, but there’s water everywhere.  This is really bothering me and I don’t want to hurt her feelings.  Should I say something or let it go?  Yesterday, since we face north, the water stayed on the driveway till the afternoon.

@Scooty

OF COURSE you should talk to her ..... it's a problem and you should speak to her about this.   One thing that might be partially helpful is for her to water at night, not the morning.   Nevertheless, you two need to work this out.

Honored Contributor

If it bothers you a lot ask ,her to water with ice cubes. They will melt ,and not leave your property wet

Me, I would be glad to have someone that tries to keep a nice yard. You could have a slob next door, that litters the yard with trash, and all sorts of things that look messy

Super Contributor

Go over to her house with a new watering can with a big bow! Then explain the reason for the can......if you are friendly neighbors I'll bet all will be well between the two of you!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Water seems pretty harmless. I don't see it as a big deal.