Valued Contributor

I live in the Seattle area and home prices are really shooting up. I don't plan to sell my house any time soon but I'm dying to know what the asking price would be? 

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the value of our house is probably 10 times what we bought it for, back in the mid-80's. It needs some cosmetic work but is basically sound.

So here's what I'm wondering: we get at least 1 or 2 solicitations a day to sell it. I'm not going to do that now but possibly in the next few years. Would it be a mistake to call one of the realtors pleading with us to sell our house, and ask what we could sell it for?

I'm just afraid we'll get a never ending blizzard of mail from them and possibly other realtors. Is there any other way of getting a ballpark figure from some other source?

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

@PuppyLoverBob666 I think I'd also be tempted to find out  but they'll be contacting you until the day you die! A hard choice, I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

An idea might be to look online (Zillow dot com, Realtor dot com, etc.) for the value of comparable houses to yours in your neighborhood if you want to avoid realtors contacting you.

Websites will show how much homes in your area have recently sold for.

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666   You could check out Zillow or Realtor. com and see what homes similar to yours are selling for.  Since you can't count on housing prices to keep increasing--remember 2008???--I personally would seriously consider selling now if I had a place I wanted to move to.  

Honored Contributor

If you watch a lot of TV you mght have seen ads for companies that say they use the same criteria to evaluate your house as the realtors do.  Can't think of a name right now, of course.  It's all online, location, square feet, etc. to determine a value.  You will have to give them your email address and possibly phone.  I guess it depends on how much resistance you have, as you will be bugged to death.

Trusted Contributor

You can check Zillow.com.  Type in your address and then they will give you a ball park estimate of what your property is worth.

I understand through your post you do not want to sell soon but are curious.  I know it's a wow -- we're rich but where you want to move will cost equally as high and so it really doesn't matter.  You will pay basically the same for a similar place.  

Unless of course you move to the few states where prices have not risen as much. Not to many of those around either these days.

My brother just bought a brand new home in the northern part of florida.  He could get $100,000. more than what he paid for it less than one year ago.  But he says -- "I'm staying in Florida, where will I go?  All the prices have increased $100,000. 

Try Zillow on computer, no one will hassle you.  You will see a price range.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Zillow will have their estimate of value on the map of your neighborhood. Search your city and keep enlarging your area until your specific street is shown. The value will be shown on your lot.

You can try entering your address in the search bar. It may pop up that way. I would not contact a realtor unless you are ready to sell. They need inventory and will contact you often to see if you have decided to sell.

Valued Contributor

We plan to stay here till we die (we're in our 70's) and of course there's no way of knowing when that will be. But I do know exactly what I want to do with the proceeds of the sale so I can't help being curious.

I might take a look at Zillow or Realtors; thanks for the suggestions.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666   You could check out Zillow or Realtor. com and see what homes similar to yours are selling for.  Since you can't count on housing prices to keep increasing--remember 2008???--I personally would seriously consider selling now if I had a place I wanted to move to.  

The only thing with selling now, you will make a lot of money but then you have to spend a lot to buy something else.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Zillow will have their estimate of value on the map of your neighborhood. Search your city and keep enlarging your area until your specific street is shown. The value will be shown on your lot.

You can try entering your address in the search bar. It may pop up that way. I would not contact a realtor unless you are ready to sell. They need inventory and will contact you often to see if you have decided to sell.

@On It 

I agree, contact Zillow. I worked for our state's Board of Realtors for years and they will stalk you forever!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.