Honored Contributor

Re: Should I not go to the Dominican Republic in October?

Caught a glimpse of a quick news flash stating that the FBI is now looking into the situation.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

This post has got to be a joke to yank our chains.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I would change my plans and go to a safer place.  There are so many wonderful places to explore there is no reason to put yourself in jeopardy

Esteemed Contributor

Personally if it were me I wouldn't go.  What anyone else decides to do is up to them, however, I would hope they would think about it real hard.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Frequent Contributor

Overnight news here in NY reports another man has died in a DR hotel over last weekend (Fathers' Day). Too many coincidences and the DR Tourist Bureau is not taking it very seriously. I would find another spot. Better safe than sorry.

Frequent Contributor

Overnight news here in NY reports another man has died in a DR hotel over last weekend (Fathers' Day). Too many coincidences and the DR Tourist Bureau is not taking it very seriously. I would find another spot. Better safe than sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

I would not go. There is nothing remarkable about DR & if you plan to go off the beaten path, you are looking for trouble. It’s a poor Country and unfortunately money spent on these all inclusive does not go to the people. I don’t know where you are in the Country but there are lovely islands that are safer. Check the government website re travel advisories. Many people love DR and had good experiences and if you chose to go I’d advise you to stay in your resort. I’d suggest Cayman Islands, Turk Caicos, St Bart, BVI or Anguilla. They are more expensive but safe.
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Me personally?  In October?  I'd be in New England around Columbus Day seeing the leaves, smelling the fire places and roaming all around the back roads stopping at fruit stands and soaking in the glorious glowing foliage!  Going to see the ocean and enjoying lobster and clams! 

But that's just me!  Cider and apple pie and crisp weather (one would hope!) and MAPLE SYRUP!

Me too!! That sounds awesome, nothing like New England in October😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@Carmie it is now up to 9 deaths, not including the woman who was almost beaten to death

Respected Contributor

Over the last number of decades I've been to the DR 4x.  I would absolutely NOT go. Why take the chance when there is so much info coming out each day.  Now they are saying there are a lot of sick people on planes coming home from the DR.   Too many other places to visit....   let them find out why this is happening (the one thought they are saying is bootleg liquor) and let time pass.