Honored Contributor

Re: Should I not go to the Dominican Republic in October?

@JBKO 

As a fairly low level worrier, and intrepid traveler, I would hold off until more is known about recent concerns.

How about Petra?  Amazing!

Happy Trails!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Don't go.  Are Americans the only ones getting sick and dying in the DR...I've only seen reports on Americans which makes me think they are being targeted.  

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

You might want to read this article from the NY Post - last week.

"An Instagram influencer known for traveling around the world with her husband said she was nearly abducted and sexually assaulted during their trip to the Dominican Republic."

Your plan to "go off the beaten track" could put you in danger.  

nypost dot com/2019/06/12/instagram-influencer-i-was-groped-nearly-kidnapped-in-dominican-republic/

How terrifying!

Esteemed Contributor

You should go --- if u like to risk ur life.

Valued Contributor

If you do decide to go, please know that it is not safe outside the resort areas. You should not go exploring inland, as those areas are controlled by drug lords. I suggest you go to YouTube, search for Darryl Fornatora, and watch the crime story about what happened to him when he decided to take an off the beaten path surfing trip to the DR.

I believe it’s possible that the toxicology reports of the people who’ve died there suspiciously in the last month may come out by mid-July, and we might get a clearer picture of what’s going on. If this is being caused by one liquor supply company or a pesticide being carelessly sprayed near air conditioning systems causing poison to be sent through the duct system, then this could be fixed. I realize people love sensationalism and to speculate that there is some serial poisoner killing Americans in the DR, but there could be a non-nefarious explanation for these deaths.

Esteemed Contributor

There are 2 things I wouldn't do: travel to a foreign country (island) that has a growing number of tourist deaths; and, I'd never, ever go off the beaten path to explore on my own. If it was a tour group going to those places, fine. But I'd never go off on my own. JMO, but that can be a dangerous thing to do.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn’t- So many other places you could go where there was no multiple, mysterious deaths... 

Honored Contributor

I would not go.  

Respected Contributor

I've travelled to Indonesia, Turkey and China alone and there is no way I'd go the the DR now and I'm not a nervous traveler at all.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gee, let me think about this...

Mysterious deaths, disappearances, attacks,drug lords running the show, kidnappings, hurricane season.

That's a tough one.