Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

wrote:

Been a  Safeway shopper for many years.  Local one sometimes is out of plastic bags on some of the rolls in meat department.  Also, in CA they don't want plastic used much.   My biggest beef with Safeway is they never have enough checkers.  In the a.m. only one lane open.  They want you to do self-check which I don't like to do.  Target is getting the same way too.  Both stores have an employee just standing there to ask you to do self-check.

@Daysdee, where I live in California, we can recycle plastic bags that have a number from I think it's 1-7 or maybe 1-12 --  I'd have to double-check. So I recycle those plastic bags in the produce and meat departments.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know that I'd waste my time writing or calling over the plastic bag issue, but definitely on the overcharge.   I'd also post it in FB...that was a great idea.   Imagine how much $$$ they've made on that.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't know that I'd waste my time writing or calling over the plastic bag issue, but definitely on the overcharge.   I'd also post it in FB...that was a great idea.   Imagine how much $$$ they've made on that.  

@Wsmom, my Von's market (owned by Safeway) has a sign that if you are ever overcharged, the item is free. So essentially, that's what happened.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I would’ve skipped out of there since I got free groceries,

but that’s just me.  

And I got a little exercise looking for plastic bags!

It’s not fair for a customer to cast a net over the entire corporation 

j.u.s.t. because of one employee...it’s a little short-sighted, IMO.

I haven’t had a ‘bad’ retail experience in some time.

Or maybe I’ve just expanded my patience &

things don’t get to me anymore. 

🤔🤗💕🛒

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Wsmom, my Von's market (owned by Safeway) has a sign that if you are ever overcharged, the item is free. So essentially, that's what happened.

That's great, because she caught it.  Imagine all the people who don't catch it.   Our Target is horrible with this and then you have to prove it was on sale.  I don't know if some stores just don't do the sale updates for their systems or how that works, if it's per store or region or what.  I'll have to pay attention at our Safeway to see if we have that sign.  I've never had a problem there, though.  I will say I contacted customer service for Target after it happened to me three times in a row, and a woman in front of me.  I haven't had any issues since.  I mean CS online, not in store.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

Go to Safeway's FB page and leave a comment.  The manager will contact you. 

Safeway is the main grocery in my area and we have gone through many managers over the years.  One of the problems for people like me is that our Safeway was originally owned by the Genuardi family and they took such pride in their store.  Now, Safeway is owned by Albertson's; and, while many of the employees are not happy, I will say that this new manager is really involved in the store.  Customers have to make needs known and have to complain when there is a problem--especially rudeness.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

wrote:

You should've gone to the manager and reported the problem.  If you didn't want to do it in person, you should've called the store when you got home and told the manager.  I have found that store management wants to be told if a customer has a problem and will resolve the problem in some way.  If you don't bring these things to the manager's attention,  others will be overcharged.  Keep your receipt when reporting a problem.

It really depends on the individual store. Some managers don’t care about those issues. I was in my local Vons (Safeway) in LA and saw a woman standing over the area with all the fresh grapes. She was clearly homeless, mentally disturbed, or both.  She was picking, with her fingers, a single grape or two out of each bag in the entire display.  I stood and watched her for 10-15 min, shopped, came back and she was still at it.

When I checked out and told the checker, her response was a shrug and a comment that they knew the woman. That was IT. 

I contacted both the individual store mgr and Vons/Safeway corporate. One didn’t even bother to respond, the other sent a canned “thank you for your email.” 

For me it was not as much an issue regarding her state and possible hunger (I get that, maybe the mgr was letting her eat stuff), BUT - sanitation.  What if she had hepatitis? E. Coli on her hands?  So give her half a sandwich, but don’t let her touch the produce other people will buy. 

Clearly management didn’t care what she did and the checker knew it.

I was very tempted to report it to the county health dept but in the end I didn’t.

Since I moved, my closest market is still a Safeway - but it’s nothing like the other store, thankfully.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Don't most stores price the meat in the meat department?  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Every. Single. Time. I've shopped at Weis, they have overcharged me AND not given me the sale price for sale items. They ring up the items and some show the sale price and some don't show it till the end. I'm fast when it comes to numbers, I watch the screen and don't chat with anyone and I buy ONLY what is on sale. If you add up the number of people who "trust" the system, you can see how much money the store is pulling in by ripping off customers. I'm not the only one who watches like a hawk; there is always someone saying "get a manager, you've overcharged me by $10 plus".

I don't shop at Safeway because....I just don't like the store. Harris Teeter is lovely. Giant is ok. Whole Foods I won't go into , Wegmans doesn't impress me and Trader Joes is more junk food packaged as health food than anything else. 

It amazes me how sloppy stores are when it comes to ringing up products considering they have MAJOR competition; you'd think they'd be on top of their game, you know?

Honored Contributor

Our local Safeway is GREAT! Always plastic bags in each sectioin/aisle.

ALL the cashiers and baggers are super nice, always helpful. I can't even imagine getting treatment like the OP got. If I had, I would have immediately asked her to call the manager over. Immediately!!

There's a Fred Meyers near me but it's awful. I've been there twice in all the years I've lived here. Will never go back.