Esteemed Contributor

Re: It Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

On the subject of the grocery stores, while meat shoppng at what used to be considered far and away the finest store in the area, a customer was explaining to the meat dept guy that he had bought chicken and when he opened it it was gray and smelled rancid.  As an aside, I had also bought chicken there with that same experience at that same timeframe so obviously it was an issue.  The meat guy looked at that customer and said, "That's the way it is supposed to look and smell".  <shaking head>   When I got to the checkout counter I told the guy at the register, who is a cashier that had worked there forever, and he about died, thanked me and said he'd pass it on.  Hopeully he did. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

Won’t comment on the checker and the overcharging, but for something like the plastic bags or the waxed paper used to pick up donuts & pastry, or TP in the restrooms, dirty restrooms, things like that in a grocery store or anywhere - I will at some point grab an employee and say “Not sure whose job this is, but just letting you know you’re out of (whatever it is). Maybe someone can refill it when they get a chance.” It’s telling them something they need to know in order to do something about it, without expecting that they personally should fix it right then. At least I feel I’ve been polite about it.

One of my peeves in stores? Having to dodge people stocking shelves in the middle of the day, blocking entire aisles for 10-15 minutes at a time. Not at 7 am or 9 pm, but in lots of customers’ way, not just me.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I would’ve skipped out of there since I got free groceries,

but that’s just me.  

And I got a little exercise looking for plastic bags!

It’s not fair for a customer to cast a net over the entire corporation 

j.u.s.t. because of one employee...it’s a little short-sighted, IMO.

I haven’t had a ‘bad’ retail experience in some time.

Or maybe I’ve just expanded my patience &

things don’t get to me anymore. 

🤔🤗💕🛒 

Behavior of some individuals witnessed here on the forum. Wouldn't surprise me the same impolite actions demonstrated in public. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Won’t comment on the checker and the overcharging, but for something like the plastic bags or the waxed paper used to pick up donuts & pastry, or TP in the restrooms, dirty restrooms, things like that in a grocery store or anywhere - I will at some point grab an employee and say “Not sure whose job this is, but just letting you know you’re out of (whatever it is). Maybe someone can refill it when they get a chance.” It’s telling them something they need to know in order to do something about it, without expecting that they personally should fix it right then. At least I feel I’ve been polite about it.

One of my peeves in stores? Having to dodge people stocking shelves in the middle of the day, blocking entire aisles for 10-15 minutes at a time. Not at 7 am or 9 pm, but in lots of customers’ way, not just me.  

@Moonchilde  Oh yes. I've had this happen to me many times. I've complained to the manager of one store and it stopped for a while but it didn't last. In fact, it's worse than ever now.

Super Contributor

Call Customer Service and tell them.  They will want to know.  Also,  cashiers are not allowed to give you an item for free without permission, so you got a deal, but that cashier would be in trouble if they knew about it.  Every store has a manager of the cashiers that oversees them upfront.  That is someone you can talk to also if you see them around.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:
Nothing is more gross than leaky and sticky packaged chicken. Ick. Microbial soup.

@bikerbabe  I agree. I always have to put my chicken in a bag. Haven't seen you in awhile!

@proudlyfromNJ Hi! Didn't think anyone would remember me. LOL. Nursing school kept me occupied the past few years.

Honored Contributor

Twitter is a good place to be vocal about this stuff then Facebook 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..  it is good to see different view points of a situation.  I appreciate  all of them. Have a nice night!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Moonchilde, I'll add to the gripefest: Not sure what to call them, but our store has what seem to be permanent displays scattered throughout that actually block access to the shelves. Plus, don't me started on how high the highest shelf is. I literally climb up to get something if I want it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I believe every word said Sea Maiden.  We have a Safeway here one town over.  I only stop there for odds and ends.   The cashiers won't even say hello to you.   I won't purchase meat anymore from them either because it's always out dated most of the time.  I've complained numerous times about that.  My business goes to Giant Food. The Giant we shop at knows us by first name.   They are the most friendliest employees and they will go out of their way to serve you.  It's a fabulous store.  Safeway to me is just a fast pit stop to purchase one or two items.