Respected Contributor

I was reading at the OPs link that helmets are not required in New Hampshire. Theres no word on if any of the victims were wearing them or not. Cant believe that is not a mandatory law in all states.

What a mess that photo is, God bless their souls.   Smiley Sad 

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Just yesterday in our city 2 people on a motorcycle were killed. How? A young inexperienced 16 year old girl made a left turn, according to witnesses, right in front of the oncoming(having the right of way)motorcyclist. Why? Maybe having 4 other teenage girls in the car, and it was 1:45am. 

Now both mother and father of 3 kids are dead, the 16 year old driver? So far charged only "Failure to yield to oncoming traffic". Hopefully more serious charges will be filed. Were I  driving that vehicle, I would probably still be sitting in a jail cell charged with Vehicular Homicide.

Saying it is sad, for me, is putting it mildly.

hckynut

Wow...so sad and so disturbing, beginning with why is a 16 year old out at 1:45am? 

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

This is an absolutely tragic event.   The investigation is ongoing.  I too am sensitive to Marines involved due to their service, and my son having started his miliary career as a Marine - although it would have been tragic no matter who had been involved.

I suspect the truck crossed over, as it would be more likely that one truck as opposed to a group of motorcycles crossed into ongoing traffic.  I doubt that it was a deliberate failure to yield the right of way - or a deliberate intention on the part of the motorcyclists to preserve their right of way.  I suspect it happened very quickly and unexpectedly.  I believe that there is a thorough police investigation ongoing, and the details from the police investigation will be released at a later date. 

A motorcyclist involved in a motor vehicle collision was killed outside my office last month.  (Most of the staff ran to look:  I did not.)  Unfortunately, motorcycles do not provide the protection of an enclosed vehicle.  My son's young GF rides - because she "has great reflexes and is very careful."  I worry about her and wish she would not . . . 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

I was reading at the OPs link that helmets are not required in New Hampshire. Theres no word on if any of the victims were wearing them or not. Cant believe that is not a mandatory law in all states.

@SeaGal. New Hampshire is the ‘Live Free or Die’ state.
Although, under 18 must wear them.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Thats just crazy.  

IMO that saying doesnt even make sense. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaGal wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ, as if wearing a helmet is an expression of freedom. Do they also not require seatbelts?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Motorcycles (and crazy 16 yr old in the truck) are dangerous, period.  When my DH was recuperating, at three hospitals in six weeks, we witnessed several patients who were there because of serious motorcycle accidents.  One young man, was out for a ride with several others, when he hit a cow.  The infected parts of the cow it into his wounds (he had been in hospital for several months and the infection was getting worse).

Honored Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Thats just crazy.  

IMO that saying doesnt even make sense. 

@SeaGal. It’s on their license plates. It’s a saying from some war, not sure which one.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaGal wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ, as if wearing a helmet is an expression of freedom. Do they also not require seatbelts?

@suzyQ3.  No, they don’t require seatbelts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shocking road acceident

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SeaGal wrote:

@suzyQ3.  No, they don’t require seatbelts.

@proudlyfromNJ, then remind to stay in my Live Safely and Avoid Death state.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland