Honored Contributor

Re: Shipping Containers Backed Up

I posted previously how executives are solving the problem.  For those who didn't see it:

Quite a few have been ordering larger volumes far in advance of the upcoming season so they won't be caught without stock.  They don't want to be in a repetitive sell-out, delayed reorder position.

Walmart ordered far in advance and is leasing its own cargo ships.  It's own crew for unloading them, and their own trucks for pickup and delivery to their warehouses.  Whether you like Walmart or not...that is impressive; however, I'll be watching for increased prices.

Some are resorting to air delivery.  Very expensive, guaranteed increased prices.  

One thing I noticed among all the execs, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, and others, all were concerned they'd have enough products in stock for their customers.  They have been making wise decisions in the face of very challenging times.  

Of course, they are concerned about sales losses, but they are making sure their stores and online websites will have enough products to sell and to ship immediately to their customers.  

Honored Contributor

I worry far more about things people need than holiday supplies.  I worry about people on fixed incomes when food, clothing, fuel and other needed items get more and more expensive.  

I worry that we won't get some things we need like medicine.  And all of this will get worse because of hurricanes that affect the shipping and ports like New Orleans. 

Esteemed Contributor

If we manufactured and produced products in America - we wouldn't be waiting at the docks for cargo to arrive from Asia. It's all about destroying America.

Esteemed Contributor

Limiting water here. I could only buy one case. I was trying to buy two cases for my DH construction site. I went out to car with the one case and went back in and got the second case. In this heat they need the water. 

Respected Contributor

Was at Sam's Club last week and there were TP and PT,  but I would say they had about 1/4 in stock of what normally fills up the space.  I was going to work down what I had from last year and earlier this year,  but as things started to get bad again,  I'm just maintaining my inventory.    I hope we don't go back to what happened previously but I'm prepared.  It was also liquid soap and naturally a lot of cleaning items. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never mind Christmas, I can't find gluten free oatmeal, peanut butter or vinegar where I live.  Guess I better go buy TP, PT, and gluten free products - if still available, I hope.  During the last big shortage someone bought out the entire lot of gluten free pastas and frozen baked goods in my store. Woman Frustrated  

I was going to have my kitchen redone but looks like we're waiting for another year or two.

Regular Contributor

I've decided if I need something any sooner than 3 weeks or so, I'm going to go out and get it even if it's cheaper online.  I get very frustrated with shipping and I've been able to almost eliminate packages coming to the house.

Honored Contributor

The way shipping containers are loaded and unloaded now is a bit slow and clunky. The containers are a uniform size (well sizes) and the whole loading and unloading process could be fully automated because of that. It would take ship redesign, container redesign, and port redesign, but it's doable. A large shipping container ship will have 5,000 or more containers on it. They're typically lifted off one by one. That takes time. Lots of time. 

Redesigning the port so the ships enter a lock and are settled onto a flat bottom or other support for stability, then interconnected containers are simply rolled off onto conveyor belts like paper towels are pulled from a roll and you could empty a full-sized ship in a few hours. Then have the outgoing containers ready to go and have them slid aboard the ship and then flood the lock and off the ship goes. It's a very doable option. You could take the turnaround time from days to hours.  

It would take a big upfront investment and you'd be fighting the port workers' unions who don't want ship loading and unloading automated, but it could change the way shipping is done on a very large scale in a very short period of time. Ships don't make money in ports. They make money when they're moving. The more they move the more money they make. Time spent loading and unloading is money lost. Speed up those processes and you make more money.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

This morning I received 2 emails from HSN about items I had on advance order that were to ship early September. They are now advising the items will ship end of September. One items was fall/decorative, so I may cancel. Glad for the notification. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen limits place on any items yet.  Although the other day I saw Kleenex brand tissues were out of stock.  Some Puffs brand, but not many to be had.  

Other paper goods were plentiful.

Once in a while we will see some shelves getting low on items such as rice.

We shop 3 different grocery stores but at one produce isn't looking so great lately.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh