Esteemed Contributor

I’m purchasing a Jeep 🚙 and I’ve been waiting months. They get a few in but the colors are not to my liking. I’m in no rush, so I continue to wait.

Respected Contributor

I have been waiting for my new car for 6 weeks. I pick it up tomorrow! Yay.

What was harder was trying to buy a turkey for Thanksgiving. My small town has two grocery stores. Both said they were getting them in soon. No luck. Today, I set out to stalk the groceries 40 miles away where they have Target, Walmart and a plethora of grocery stores.

Bingo, scored a 23 pound bird just in time! There were only 6 left when I got mine! The other option was to have seafood, which seems in abundant supply here, if we couldn't get the turkey. We've decided to have seafood for Christmas!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@On It wrote:

60 Minutes did a story on the shipping bottlenecks at the ports and along the railways. If you did not see the story, I recommend trying to find it and watch it. A lot of blame has been deflected, but clearly the system needs an intervention.

The inflation we are seeing is shipping and storage fees, not the cost of goods. One toy company had to pay a million dollars in storage fees in September. The owner said there was no way he could pay that kind of money out of pocket. The cost would have to be passed on to consumers. His containers are in Chicago at a rail yard at the bottom of a large stack of containers. He cannot get them through no fault of his own but is nevertheless being charged storage fees.

Oh so this report said that my little yogurt or other food items I buy didn't go up?  Things I buy customarily didn't go up, just the shipping went up? 

What a load....my lying eyes don't see the price increases in everything from clothing to cars!

My understanding of that quote is that companies/stores have raised the price of the merchandise to cover their higher shipping and storage costs.

@liliblu we all should know by now that costs go up when manufacturers and sellers want them to.  No pandemic needed.  It just sounds nice to give a reason.  Things have been going up for years and they aren't attributed to anything.  

We will never have control over greed.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Super Contributor

It was a very interesting report.  So many "touch points" along the supply chain, and each of them is blaming the other.  Seems the only party making any money, are those involved in the storage of all those containers, and they are racking up some serious coin. 

The process and rules in place that dictate what type, size, and color of container that can be hitched to a truck are ridiculous.    

The organizations that are charging retailers massive storage fees, while at the same time, holding the containers hostage, ought to be prosecuted for price gouging.

if this problem was organic, it would be one thing, but I don't believe for a second that it is.  This problem is manufactured, and ultimately, it's the consumer that suffers.   That's the price we pay when we buy foreign-made products, and I'm TOTALLY guilty of that. 

Honored Contributor

I certainly don't have all the answers to this dilemma, but I do have to guess that this is what happens when you shut down a system this large and complex for such an extended time.

I remember at the very beginning of the pandemic thinking and saying that the economic fallout of the virus and the world's response to it would end up being worse than the virus itself, and I really don't think I was too far off on that, as time goes on and so many situations continue to falter and fail. 

We really can't essentially shut the world down for an extended period of time (or a big portion of it anyway) and think that it will all just start up and run smoothly again. The supply chain was a well oiled machine, and it will take some time to get it up and running again. 

There are other factors at play as well, most political and not to be discussed here, that are involved too.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

I’m purchasing a Jeep 🚙 and I’ve been waiting months. They get a few in but the colors are not to my liking. I’m in no rush, so I continue to wait.

@qvcfreak 

Haven't been in the market for a new vehicle in years. Just wondering, since it now takes months, can a person still order a Jeep vehicle with exactly the equipment and color they desire? Or does Jeep just stick with a couple colors/models and equipment packages?

If not, I will be out of the new vehicle market until I can. No new vehicle is important enough, or needed immediately, for me to take what a dealer might have in stock. That also applies to their orders "coming in".

For the cost of a new vehicle, I get exactly what I want, or I do not go with brand new.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@On It   Before I go looking for that show -  did they cover what's to be done?  I'm tired of reading reports about the problem without plausible solutions.  

There are so many moving parts that it seems some type of Czar with power needs to be appointed to get things moving.

@On It   You mean like Pete Buttigieg?  He's the man in charge this year.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes @hckynutjohn you can request what you want and specify color. I gave 5 colors and I got a text today that it may be this week. So excited. 

I agree with you, I’m paying a lot of money, so I’m waiting to get what I want.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcfreak 

Yea! Happy for you!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Remember when things were manufactured and "grown" in America? Maybe our "leaders" should try it the "old-fashioned way" -- then we wouldn't have all these huge cargo ships stuck in the ocean. There's also lots of fruits and vegetables rotting on these ships.