Honored Contributor

Re: Shingles (Zoster) Vaccine

Regarding the shingles vaccine and latex allergies:

""Latex in Vaccine Packaging table (as of July 2014)""

The listing for Zoster (Shingles) (Zostavax) says it contains no latex.

link: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/latex-table.pdf

and

""The container closure systems of ZOSTAVAX and the diluent are free of latex.""

link: http://www.merck.ca/assets/en/pdf/products/zostavax-pm_e.pdf

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I did not get the shingles injection but my husband (who is allergic to everything and gets flu shots and other shots due to asthma) asked about getting the shingles shot and they said insurance does NOT pay it until after your 60. We are not that age yet so no shingles shot. I hope we don't get it because I know 2 people who had it recently, one in their 40s and one in their 50s.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I got really itchy red swelling on the site that took about 6 weeks to go away. I also actually got chicken pox on my legs (not the torso) from the vaccine that took even longer to clear up. Really had the Dr. puzzled, evidently that is rare. Makes me wonder how susceptible I am to shingles.

Honored Contributor

I had the same side effects as you and yes eventually the skin discoloration went away. I would rather have that small discomfort than risk shingles.

Honored Contributor

I have wanted the vaccine for a long time, but as far as I have ever read until this thread and until I did some recent reading, I thought I would have to pay the full price myself. When did insurance companies give in and start paying for it? i will ask my doctor next time I go. Not looking forward to the reaction, but as all have said, better than getting shingles.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Thanks dooBdoo for revisiting the latex allergy question which was covered by a very good link I had posted to HH.

Latex in Vaccine Packaging for those who missed it the first time!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Thanks dooBdoo for revisiting the latex allergy question which was covered by a very good link I had posted to HH.

Latex in Vaccine Packaging for those who missed it the first time!Wink

Hi, JustJazzmom! I didn't realize we were revisiting,{#emotions_dlg.laugh} but it's probably a good thing since some of us didn't see it the first time around. Knowledge is a good thing!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I'm allergic to just about everything, so I'll wait until they have a blood test to figure out if I'm allergic to it. But, knowing folks who have had shingles, it's probably a very good idea to get the shot, in the long run. p.s. I don't recall having chicken pox. But I recall the measles.......I think...........{#emotions_dlg.mellow}

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

lol I remember the other thread. There's no latex in the shingles vaccines.

Honored Contributor

This is from 2011 - not exactly current information.