Respected Contributor

Re: Shingles (Zoster) Vaccine

My PCP wanted $250 up front....told me to go to CVS...went to CVS and got it right away....I think my co-pay was $20 bucks.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Trusted Contributor

My dad had shingles, a bad case that hurt one of his eyes, and he'll probably get the vaccine so it--hopefully--doesn't hit him again. Given the overall effectiveness, I'm wary. I was going to get it myself, but I'm allergic to the base. Luckily there are natural ways to battle a shingles flare up, and I'll go with that method.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Lotus~ said:

The same thing happened to me....it was very it chy. The i t ch went away before the mark...I don't remember how long it took.

It got smaller every day though.....maybe 10 days or so??? I put Cortaid on it.

***Stupid standards would not allow my post to save until I changed the spelling of "i t ch"

i t c h? I guess it means something else {#emotions_dlg.confused1}{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Mine no longer itches and the spot is getting smaller, too. I didn't think to put Cortaid on it. At this point, it's not bothering me, but dang! It hurt for a couple of days! I'm sure it didn't hurt half as much as having shingles does though, so that's all the complaining I'm going to do.

Super Contributor

On 11/16/2014 blahblahvampemerblah said: My dad had shingles, a bad case that hurt one of his eyes, and he'll probably get the vaccine so it--hopefully--doesn't hit him again. Given the overall effectiveness, I'm wary. I was going to get it myself, but I'm allergic to the base. Luckily there are natural ways to battle a shingles flare up, and I'll go with that method.

What do you suggest? I googled "natural treatments for shingles" and am unimpressed with what I found. Calamine lotion. Lukewarm oatmeal baths. Aspirin. Papaya.

Respected Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Vamp said:
On 11/16/2014 Lotus~ said:

The same thing happened to me....it was very it chy. The i t ch went away before the mark...I don't remember how long it took.

It got smaller every day though.....maybe 10 days or so??? I put Cortaid on it.

***Stupid standards would not allow my post to save until I changed the spelling of "i t ch"

i t c h? I guess it means something else {#emotions_dlg.confused1}{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Mine no longer itches and the spot is getting smaller, too. I didn't think to put Cortaid on it. At this point, it's not bothering me, but dang! It hurt for a couple of days! I'm sure it didn't hurt half as much as having shingles does though, so that's all the complaining I'm going to do.

I kept getting a red alert at the bottom of my post telling me the word beeeeee-i t c h wasn't allowed. But I didn't type that word.

Weird.

Reply not saved. The following words are not allowed: B*i tcc h

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Trusted Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Vamp said:

Thanks for your responses. I am not at all concerned. I read that 1 in 3 people have a reaction like this, so it's not unusual and, of course, it varies from person to person. I was just curious if anyone had any anecdotal stories with similar experiences. I don't think the mark is permanent, but I was surprised that I can still see it two weeks later. It is definitely much better than it was the first week, so again, no concern.

I am very glad I got the vaccine. I tried to get it about 2 years ago when a friend of mine got shingles at age 56 and was very miserable. At the time, it was in short supply and I wasn't able to get it. Although I am only 54, I don't want to take the risk of ever getting shingles!

Here's my anecdotal story. My injection site was such a non issue, I literally forgot all about it. In my morning shower the next, I used my shower poof thingy vigorously scrubbing at the back of both arms per usual without giving it a thought.

Later in the day I caught a glimpse of the now very red and irritated area! Kind of raw and sore too. Yikes! I thought maybe I given myself a permanent scar when it remained there for a couple of weeks well after the discomfit part had healed. But it did finally go away and I've almost forgotten about it...until a post like this reminds me, LOL!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

I got the shingles vaccine last year at a local pharmacy and my insurance paid for most of the cost. Actually, a pharmacist came and talked to each individual getting the vaccine and told them what to expect. He explained the vaccine and noted the reaction varies from a sore arm to itching to bruising in many cases. Fortunately, I only had a sore arm at the injection site for a couple days.

I had a very bad case of shingles many years ago and. hopefully, will never go through that again. A sore arm is much more tolerable than a case of shingles. Your arm should be back to normal in a few days. If not, check with your doctor or pharmacist.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I had a red area where the shot was given, and it was a little sore for a couple of days, but my Pharmacist told me this when she gave me the shot!

Honored Contributor

I went to walgreens to get my shingles shot - I had filled out the paperwork and paid my $95 copay already. The Pharmacist came out and asked me how severe my latex allergy was - to which I answered that it is pretty severe. She refused to give me the shot and refunded my payment. When I got back to Fl I asked my PCP about it and he looked at the vial and said - yes, there is a warning on the vial not to give to someone who has a latex allergy. So, OP , do you perhaps have a latex allergy? Do you get a rash from tape or band aids? That could be the issue.

Trusted Contributor

Lotus: Guess it is just your lucky day with webbie! Wink

Mrs. Sweetie Bear: glad your injection site healed! I forgot about my shot the first day as well. In fact, that evening I remembered briefly and smugly thought I had avoided any side effects (yes, Hooty, I was also informed about possible side effects by both my PCP and the pharmacist). The next day was when it became red, sore, and itchy... Oh, well. Like I said, it's better than getting shingles.

Anika: I agree, the discomfort of a vaccine is a small price to pay even if it only reduces the symptoms of shingles. And I hope you never get it again either! Bless your heart!

happy housewife: That is interesting that the vaccine shouldn't be given to those who have a latex allergy; I would never have thought of that. However, I have been exposed to latex on multiple occasions (I wear latex gloves quite a lot, in fact) and have never had a problem. I think I am just one of those lucky ones{#emotions_dlg.glare} who reacted to the vaccine. As I said, it is not uncommon to get redness, itching, pain, swelling (like hives) and a hot spot at the injection site.