Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

Re: Shifting Irma: How about trying an experiment in "collective conciousness."

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

A lovely idea filled with hope and the belief in miracles, @sandraskates.    The only down side I can possibly conjure up might be that when people try this sort of "experiment" and it doesn't work... or, at least, the results aren't what they specifically expected...   it sometimes might dash or diminish hopes and beliefs in prayer and the power of sending positivity out into the universe.   I think the benefits make it worthwhile.   I'm all for doing what we can to manifest goodwill, safety, blessings, and benevolence, and (just my experience) it's worthy of practicing every day.    Thanks for this suggestion, @sandraskates.❤️

@dooBdoo  Nicely stated-I believe a lot of prayer is going up. 

Just as an aside, the collective conscious theory, developed by Durkheim, does address some aspects of religion and spirituality.

Whether one subscribes to this suggestion or not, there still is power in prayer so whether it's done as a group or as an individual is not important; what matters is that anything positive sent out will be received by those open to it.

Rather than focusing on being able to turn Irma away I suggest sending healing and comforting thoughts/prayers/light-whatever one chooses to do to those in harms way.

It's all in perspective.

@sandraskates  This is not to denigrate your suggestion.  It is a thoughtful one.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Out here in the real world, hurricanes do not turn around and head back to where they came from and wishing upon a star won't make it happen.   We know Irma's path.

@chrystaltree

Exactly!

Esteemed Contributor

I'll pray for the safety of the people and animals in Irma's way as she makes landfall.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cakers wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

A lovely idea filled with hope and the belief in miracles, @sandraskates.    The only down side I can possibly conjure up might be that when people try this sort of "experiment" and it doesn't work... or, at least, the results aren't what they specifically expected...   it sometimes might dash or diminish hopes and beliefs in prayer and the power of sending positivity out into the universe.   I think the benefits make it worthwhile.   I'm all for doing what we can to manifest goodwill, safety, blessings, and benevolence, and (just my experience) it's worthy of practicing every day.    Thanks for this suggestion, @sandraskates.❤️

Just as an aside, the collective conscious theory, developed by Durkheim, does address some aspects of religion and spirituality.

Whether one subscribes to this suggestion or not, there still is power in prayer so whether it's done as a group or as an individual is not important; what matters is that anything positive sent out will be received by those open to it.

Rather than focusing on being able to turn Irma away I suggest sending healing and comforting thoughts/prayers/light-whatever one chooses to do to those in harms way.

It's all in perspective.

@sandraskates  This is not to denigrate your suggestion.  It is a thoughtful one.

Thanks, @Cakers3.  Wonderful post!    Belief in things not seen, things not visible or especially tangible, doesn't disallow understanding and accepting science and all that it involves.    The two aren't mutually exclusive...  never have been, never will be.image.gif  I don't think it helps to conflate.   Some of my friends in various scientific fields are also very spiritual.    I'm happy to see people who embrace all possibilities that hold potential for good.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it is possible to believe in science and a higher power.

But.....

the fact is,

Irma will  make landfall.

There will be no "miraculous turn out to sea".

All the forecasts, and people who study weather and hurricanes, all say that it's not a matter of if Irma makes landfall, but where and when.

Valued Contributor

I am all in with this.  Good Job!!!! @sandraskates

Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

It's all in perspective.

Thanks, @Cakers3.  Wonderful post!    Belief in things not seen, things not visible or especially tangible, doesn't disallow understanding and accepting science and all that it involves.    The two aren't mutually exclusive...  never have been, never will be.image.gif  I don't think it helps to conflate.   Some of my friends in various scientific fields are also very spiritual.    I'm happy to see people who embrace all possibilities that hold potential for good.

@Cakers3- yes, positive intent, which I've been reading about lately and have been practicing. And I have had some positive changes in my life come about by doing this.

@dooBdoo- thanks for the background on collective conciousness experiments.

For those of you open to the attempt, I thank you.

And for those of you that are not, that's ok too. I know not everyone will be.

Honored Contributor

Hi, @sandraskates!    You're welcome -- I'm happy to be open to your thoughtful suggestion.   We really benefit from putting as much light out into the world as we can, even while we're pragmatic and maybe a wee bit cynical.   @Cakers3 posted the interesting background info on collective conscious theory, by the way.    I think it's a fascinating topic.

Love and light

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova