Valued Contributor

Though I understand that there are many important people/professions that are underappreciated financially, it seems that lately everyone feels the need to be overtly appreciated. There seem to be some real chips on shoulders.  I am JUST a teacher to many, I JUST teach elementary school to many.  However, I'm not looking for everyone to notice me, show me great appreciation for everything I do, and acknowledge my many skills and abilities.  I do what I do because I love it and I find satisfaction INSIDE myself.  The only time I feel the need to delineate the long list of things I do for my students and their families is during contract negotiations when I am being asked to justify getting even a 1% raise.  And I don't delineate all that I do for students and families for students and families, just for my employers.  It all makes me wonder, in this day of social media and "reality" TV, if we have turned into a society filled with people who need "special" attention, who need to feel acknowledged on a public level.  IMO, that's a clear sign of someone who has no REAL self-esteem.  

At the same time, I don't believe in the attitude that some have that those professions who are "underappreciated" are somehow "better" or more heroic than the professions related to them that traditionally receive overt  shows of appreciation.  I love the vet techs at my vet hospital.  However, I also love the vet that cares for my animals and, by extension, me.  There is a place for a vet or a doctor or a vet tech or a nurse.  Some professions take more schooling and training than others.  That expertise is different from the expertise other professions acquire.  I will never expect/want a vet to do a vet tech's job and vice versa.  I also would never expect/want a nurse to do a doctor's job and vice versa.  They are DIFFERENT jobs and I wouldn't take away from any of them or ANYONE who does an honest day's work.  But, imo, the real heroes in society are those that do for others without calling attention to themselves or what they do. That takes real heart!

Respected Contributor

you are appreciated @guatmum whether you think so or not.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the vet techs at our vet office!  We have shared many laughs throughout the years.  They are so personable and wonderful with the animals. The vet techs do most of the actual work in an exam.

Respected Contributor

Why do some people have to make this about them?

We have wonderful Vet techs where we go. 

Respected Contributor

Re: She' s Just a Vet Tech

[ Edited ]

I think everyone needs to feel appreciated and valued in their jobs, not necessarily  all the time or hugely overtly but once in a while.   

Just one person giving you a pat-on-the-back can mean so much.   We all need it and, hopefully,  get it in different ways.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

I don't necessarily feel that everyone is looking for special appreciation for their jobs, rather they are looking for the respect due them simply by being there and knowing what they are doing, and doing an excellent job at it.

For instance calling for an appointment with the doctor and being offered one with the Physican's Assistant in order to have an earlier appoinment but telling the scheduler that won't do because it's just the Physican's Assistant rather than the doctor.  It's condescending and shows a lack of respect.  

This is what I get from the OP... and btw... I love every single one of my Vet's staff!!  They are wonderful with my little Corgi-poo (who's a pip)!   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Many years ago, early to mid 80's, before cancer treatment for dogs and cats become more easily available in my state, my mother's dog went through an oncology program at Purdue University.  Benji's condition exceeded Michigan State's expertise.  I know first hand, how veterinary technicians made all the difference.  We had to leave Benji there for a couple of weeks without seeing him and the techs were fantastic giving us updates.  When we were finally able to visit, I used to take my Mom to Purdue each weekend so Benji could have a leave of absence from the veterinary school/clinic.  Benji was calm, not traumatized and happy to see the vet techs.  No shaking, cowering or anything like that.  My Mom bought the girls candies, gave them gift certificates for local restaurants, etc.

We made the trip every weekend until the therapy was over and we were allowed to bring Benji home.  When we needed to go back like 6-8 weeks for follow up exams, Benji was excited to see the techs. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

i don't think our vet had any employees. His wife acted as receptionist and he did everything else himself, so I have never known a vet tech.

Respected Contributor

"Just" a vet tech is demeaning. All jobs have value, all jobs have worth. To say someone is "just a vet tech" is placing lesser value on the job say as opposed to the vet. It's not fair and it's not right. The vet would not be able to do his/her job if there were not vet techs available. It seems the vets get all the credit while the vet techs literally do much of the work. Vet techs are certified and well trained. Not everyone could do that work nor would they want to.

Handing over the container that holds the ashes of a beloved pet isn't easy but it was a vet tech that gave them to me-with tears in his eyes. He knew my Big Dog better than the vet did. He was not "just" a vet tech to me.