Esteemed Contributor

A "behind the scenes look" that applies to many professions that are sorely unappreciated or at least under appreciated:

from http://www.drandyroark.com/shes-just-a-vet-tech/

She’s Just A Vet Tech

By: Britney Greene

JUST a Vet Tech greeted you at the door with a smiling face, even though we’ve been running around for 11 hours straight. Your pet was assessed by JUST a Vet Tech and, when we noticed he wasn’t stable, JUST a Vet Tech carried your 70 plus pound dog to the back and screamed for a doctor.

Once the doctor assessed your pet, JUST a Vet Tech placed the IV catheter and started to bolus fluids. JUST a Vet Tech got a blood pressure on your pet today and administered medications because his blood pressure was low. JUST a Vet Tech drew blood and ensured it got run as quickly as possible. JUST a Vet Tech wrestled your dog to get x-rays today, with the help of an assistant. When we found that your pet needed surgery, JUST a Vet Tech made certain he was stable throughout the procedure. When your pet left the surgery suite, JUST a Vet Tech sat with him to make sure he recovered with no problems.

JUST a Vet Tech got vitals on your pet every couple of hours today and reported all issues to the doctor on duty. JUST a Vet Tech noticed your pet was painful and asked the doctor to administer more pain medications. JUST a Vet Tech sat with your pet today and gave him love while you were at work. JUST a Vet Tech told your pet that he wasn’t there forever, only until he got better. JUST a Vet Tech promised your pet you’d be back for him.

Just a Vet Tech took your dog outside for a walk today. When we realized he was cramped up in that cage and his legs were stiff, JUST a Vet Tech walked your pet around the building at his pace to ensure he got proper exercise. Your pet got a lot of fluids today and couldn’t control his bladder. He’s still so weak. JUST a Vet Tech checked and changed his bedding so he didn’t have to lay in his urine. JUST a Vet Tech administered all your pets medications today.

Your pet was scared (this is a new place with new people), and he was fearfully trying to bite me. JUST a Vet Tech took the time and did everything possible to show him that we weren’t going to hurt him. He accidentally wiped his stool on me when he sat in my lap today. It happens after surgery. But, that’s okay, he didn’t mean it. JUST a Vet Tech cleaned him up nice for you.

I’m so sorry to tell you, your pet had a rough night last night. He took a turn for the worse. You’re letting your pet go today. JUST a Vet Tech understands how hurt you are, and brought you tissues. You were too upset to see your dog leave the world today. JUST a Vet Tech hugged and loved him as he crossed the bridge today. JUST a Vet Tech went home emotionally drained because all the hard work didn’t pay off today. JUST a Vet Tech will do it again tomorrow.

Remember this the next time you call someone JUST a Vet Tech. We are JUST an important part of your pet’s care. And we care about your pet.

Sincerely,
JUST a Vet Tech

Britney Greene is a full-time veterinary technician at a Pet Emergency Hospital in Maryland, and she absolutely enjoys her job. In her spare time, Britney has two children and is pursuing her Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology.
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

thanks @Marp for posting.  i've known some great vet techs.  they are indispensable.

Esteemed Contributor

We've had some great "Just a Vet Techs" in our lives. Heart

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Contributor

What a very enlightening article. Thank you Vet Techs for all of your hard work and kindness you show to our animals!!!

Respected Contributor

It sounds like she has anger issues.  I have never once thought of them as "JUST a vet tech". I know all the hard work they do.

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne  I agree, just like our two-legged nurses who never get enough praise!  Thank God for nurses for humans and Vet Techs for our animals.

Honored Contributor

Marp, I just copied and sent your "Just a Vet Tech" article to my niece, who is a Vet Tech, and just saved her own dog's life several days ago.  He was attacked by bees and she acted quickly with shots that saved his life.  I put it on her FB page. 

Thanks so much for posting this.  There are so many women in our family who are animal lovers, including my beloved sister who was a vet's wife and worked with him for over 30 years. 

This article will mean a lot to my niece. Image result for peanuts characters

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Re: She' s Just a Vet Tech

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

Marp, I just copied and sent your "Just a Vet Tech" article to my niece, who is a Vet Tech, and just saved her own dog's life several days ago.  He was attacked by bees and she acted quickly with shots that saved his life.  I put it on her FB page. 

Thanks so much for posting this.  There are so many women in our family who are animal lovers, including my beloved sister who was a vet's wife and worked with him for over 30 years. 

This article will mean a lot to my niece. Image result for peanuts characters

I sent it to the attention of  the vet techs at my vet's office with a note of thanks and appreciation even though I am painfully aware of all they do. 

Too often I forget to let them know that I recognize how important they are to my animals' care.  I'm sure your niece will appreciate you posting it.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

@Marp wrote:

A "behind the scenes look" that applies to many professions that are sorely unappreciated or at least under appreciated:

from http://www.drandyroark.com/shes-just-a-vet-tech/

She’s Just A Vet Tech

By: Britney Greene

JUST a Vet Tech greeted you at the door with a smiling face, even though we’ve been running around for 11 hours straight. Your pet was assessed by JUST a Vet Tech and, when we noticed he wasn’t stable, JUST a Vet Tech carried your 70 plus pound dog to the back and screamed for a doctor.

Once the doctor assessed your pet, JUST a Vet Tech placed the IV catheter and started to bolus fluids. JUST a Vet Tech got a blood pressure on your pet today and administered medications because his blood pressure was low. JUST a Vet Tech drew blood and ensured it got run as quickly as possible. JUST a Vet Tech wrestled your dog to get x-rays today, with the help of an assistant. When we found that your pet needed surgery, JUST a Vet Tech made certain he was stable throughout the procedure. When your pet left the surgery suite, JUST a Vet Tech sat with him to make sure he recovered with no problems.

JUST a Vet Tech got vitals on your pet every couple of hours today and reported all issues to the doctor on duty. JUST a Vet Tech noticed your pet was painful and asked the doctor to administer more pain medications. JUST a Vet Tech sat with your pet today and gave him love while you were at work. JUST a Vet Tech told your pet that he wasn’t there forever, only until he got better. JUST a Vet Tech promised your pet you’d be back for him.

Just a Vet Tech took your dog outside for a walk today. When we realized he was cramped up in that cage and his legs were stiff, JUST a Vet Tech walked your pet around the building at his pace to ensure he got proper exercise. Your pet got a lot of fluids today and couldn’t control his bladder. He’s still so weak. JUST a Vet Tech checked and changed his bedding so he didn’t have to lay in his urine. JUST a Vet Tech administered all your pets medications today.

Your pet was scared (this is a new place with new people), and he was fearfully trying to bite me. JUST a Vet Tech took the time and did everything possible to show him that we weren’t going to hurt him. He accidentally wiped his stool on me when he sat in my lap today. It happens after surgery. But, that’s okay, he didn’t mean it. JUST a Vet Tech cleaned him up nice for you.

I’m so sorry to tell you, your pet had a rough night last night. He took a turn for the worse. You’re letting your pet go today. JUST a Vet Tech understands how hurt you are, and brought you tissues. You were too upset to see your dog leave the world today. JUST a Vet Tech hugged and loved him as he crossed the bridge today. JUST a Vet Tech went home emotionally drained because all the hard work didn’t pay off today. JUST a Vet Tech will do it again tomorrow.

Remember this the next time you call someone JUST a Vet Tech. We are JUST an important part of your pet’s care. And we care about your pet.

Sincerely,
JUST a Vet Tech

Britney Greene is a full-time veterinary technician at a Pet Emergency Hospital in Maryland, and she absolutely enjoys her job. In her spare time, Britney has two children and is pursuing her Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology.

this also applies to nurses, cna's and others in the medical field. Blessings to all who care for others.

Honored Contributor

WONDERFUL PERSPECTIVE. Anyone who feels for some ill formed reason superior to people working in highly trained service professions is an idiot.