Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Where I live our sewer bill is somehow based off of the amount of water we use which is usually pretty low except when my husband accidentally left the outdoor hose on overnight!

I wouldn’t like that everyone pays the same no matter how many people are in the household but like you said there’s not much you can do about it. 

Our rates are also based on water usage, but it's during 3 or 4 winter months when sprinklers, hoses and pools aren't using water.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

Everyone in the area I live all pay the same for sewer 

and it is ridiculously high, just went up to $196.00 every 2 months.   Smiley Frustrated

Water is a seperate bill, comes from a different district, garbage/recycling/yardwaste is also a seperate biller.

That makes me feel a little better ours is $172

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Our rates are also based on water usage, but it's during 3 or 4 winter months when sprinklers, hoses and pools aren't using water.

THIS is a great idea!!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Our sewer bill is based on the water used.  If you use no water, they will bill you a set minimum bill for both the water and sewer.

Trash is billed quarterly.  Everyone pays the same.  We had one lady in our township  who said she generated no trash and she did not want to pay for trash removal that she never used.  She called the TV  station who looked into it for her...she made a big deal out of it, but it was determined that she still had to pay.

@Carmie our trash collection is pretty much the same as yours and have a neighbor like the one you described.  She finally talked another neighbor into splitting the bill.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sewer/Trash question

[ Edited ]

All homeowners pay the same in my city for trash and sewage-flat rate.  Water and electricity is billed by usage. The city does offer special rates on utilities for water and electrical for homeowners in a certain income bracket. We receive one bill but each services is itemized separately. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Did the rules at the empty house change or is this the first time you noticed the higher bill?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sewer/Trash question

[ Edited ]

@fthunt 

I live in Oxnard, CA - and every month I get a bill from the city - where sewer, trash and water are itemized. The sewer and trash are the same every month. Then--I get billed again on my property tax bill for SEWER!!!!

Honored Contributor

My son lived in an apartment complex where they all paid their share of the sewer/trash no matter what their usage was too. He didn't think it was fair either and moved out when his lease was up.