Respected Contributor

Where I live, sewer is based on water usage I think the sewer is about 1/3 the cost of the water usage. Everyone in the township is issued very large garbage and recycle cans and everyone pays the same for that whether you put it out every week or once every month. Both are collected weekly.

Honored Contributor

I’ve lived in places that billed differently.  Some included trash and sewer in property taxes.  Others had sewer and water together on a bill, with sewer being a portion of the amount of water you used.  Trash was either included in property taxes or billed separately.  I’ve never had a bill that was sewer and trash only though.

Respected Contributor

Where I live the trash collection is included in the property tax bill.  Water is billed on your usage, with an additional sewage fee which is the same for each dwelling. 

I've lived in different states, counties, municipalities, etc. And every locality does it their own way.  

Respected Contributor

Our township also provides large trashcan & large recycle cans too. We get 1 of each but some neighbors who have large families need another can which they provide but you pay extra per month for that. The water is so many gallons per month if you go over then you pay more per gallon after what they allowed you. Motto "The more you use, the more money you lose"

Respected Contributor

IMO, where I live the bills are extremely unfair.  Everyone pays the same for trash pickup regardless how much garbage you have or how many people are in your household.  So, singles are paying the same as a family of 8.

Water/Sewer is another matter and also done unfairly.  Water is based on usage.  But, it you don't use enough you are charged a surcharge.  So, again a single person is penalized for living alone.  While the rest of the country is begging people to cut down on water consumption, my city is penalizing those that do.  Go figure.  When I questioned it at a city council meeting, I was told "that is how we've always done it."  End of discussion.

Honored Contributor

Everybody pays the same regardless of size/value of property in my town.

Esteemed Contributor

When I lived in a place that had water/sewer bills there was a minimum charge based on X amount of water.  The cost increased once water usage became higher than the minimum.

Trash was included in city property taxes, along with other services.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Re: Sewer/Trash question

[ Edited ]

@Travone wrote:

IMO, where I live the bills are extremely unfair.  Everyone pays the same for trash pickup regardless how much garbage you have or how many people are in your household.  So, singles are paying the same as a family of 8.

Water/Sewer is another matter and also done unfairly.  Water is based on usage.  But, it you don't use enough you are charged a surcharge.  So, again a single person is penalized for living alone.  While the rest of the country is begging people to cut down on water consumption, my city is penalizing those that do.  Go figure.  When I questioned it at a city council meeting, I was told "that is how we've always done it."  End of discussion.

---

I can understand the uniform charge for garbage collection, as it would not be cost effective to measure garbage. Sometimes we put out a full can; other times only partially full. The truck and crew arrive no matter the amount we put out.

As far as water and sewer, my city is similar to yours in the sense that there is no financial incentive to conserve. Water and sewer are "metered," but the fixed costs account for practically the entire bill; the actual usage costs are very low. The difference in the monthly bill is negligible whether you use 1000 gallons per month or 5000 gallons per month.

Honored Contributor
Sewer and trash are a flat fee for everyone. I’ve never heard of sewer based on useage.
Trusted Contributor

Our water usage is billed from an independent company, every month it averages around $60.  Sewer usage is based on our water usage and it is billed by the county once a year.  Since I am a senior it is a flat fee of $38.00.  Trash and recycle is done by independent collectors and the fees vary.  I currently pay $98 every 3 months and yard waste is an additional fee.