Honored Contributor

It is sad to see our town and others the way they are now.

This town used to be so nice and the downtown had some historic buildings. Everywhere was neat and clean.

Over the past few years things are dirty, trash along the streets and yards. Houses are dirty and even falling apart. Old cars and furntiure in yards, driveways, porches. No one takes pride in their place.

Businesses that failed sitting empty, factories sitting empty. Drugs have taken over the town too.

I am not saying all areas are bad or dirty or overrun with drug dealers but some of it are.

They took tore down the historic buildings,its  just so different than when we moved here.

I am sure alot of cities and towns are this way now but it kinda sad to see.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I agree, it is very sad to see once beautiful cities in such deplorable conditions. I'm so glad I travelled when I was young and the places I really wanted to see were still nice and much safer.

Honored Contributor

The mayor of your town falling down on his/her job????

Have you complained to your mayor in person and/or snail mail?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I am not in a city but in the suburbs in a town of about 16,000. Our town is thriving. Shops, stores, restaurants etc. Everything seems to be kept up and clean. 

We are about 20 miles north of Manhattan.

Honored Contributor

I am encouraged by the influx of investment in the 'downtown' area of my city.  Bridges and the municipal library have been refurbished or replaced.  And a multi-level senior activities center is being built where a condemned hotel building used to be.  I'm hoping that the actions of the newly-elected mayor will continue the renaissance. 

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs    Have people been moving out of your city?  That could account for businesses drying up. 

Less people, less taxes to maintain buildings and other structures.

Drugs are a big problem everywhere in this country and have been for decades. 

Is there an uptick in gang activity?

It is sad to see deterioration and unfortunately people do not seem to care very much anymore.  It's just the not caring about such things as trash not disposed of properly that indicates a lack of appreciation for where one lives.

It's sad, I agree.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My city is one of the 'most desireable' places to live right now and as a result there has been some very good improvements made to the once deteriorated parts of the city. Places I thought were hopeless are now being renewed and made useful again. Our bridges and roads have had a lot of repairs, making them nice to drive on throughout the city. Our downtown area is experiencing a resurgence of small businesses and has attracted many young and upcoming business executives. I'm glad to see this happening. It's been a long time coming.

Valued Contributor

Jobs, or lack of jobs, also has a lot to do with things.  Many people also live paycheck to paycheck...no extra money fix up a home or repair a car.

Esteemed Contributor

I travel frequently, especially in CA, NV, AZ and NM.  Most cities and towns look like they are in good to great shape.  I think OP may live in an area that could be in economic decline (maybe Mid West where some areas depend on dying industries?).

Trusted Contributor

sosad.  salt lake city is really goinmgdown hill.  they are building everywhere and they just put up trashy looking   aprtment building.  and for the most part the people who rent them really don't care   far too many  property investment firms hae moved into the area and they just want to buy up all the property and build then move on.

this is not the clean warm city that i grew up in and it is so sad.