Respected Contributor

Re: Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

[ Edited ]

I remember a news story about a young woman who brought a pig on a plane as her support animal.  IIRC, it went bonkers or pooped all over the place or maybe both.  I understand seeing-eye dogs, but I don't believe people can't be apart from their pig or dog for a plane flight.  They even bring them into the supermarkets.  I'm tired of this.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Just because you don't react to dogs & cats with an asthma attack doesn't mean no one does. Many people are desparately allergic to animal dander.My DH doesn't get asthma but his eyes will swell closed if he gets anywhere near a cat, and he could not sit near one on a closed up airplane.

Tagged the wrong person in your response.  I am well award of the dangers of allergic reaction to pets (specifically cats) and people with asthma and other breathing issues.  It was others who were passing it off as an irrational fear.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Just because you don't react to dogs & cats with an asthma attack doesn't mean no one does. Many people are desparately allergic to animal dander.My DH doesn't get asthma but his eyes will swell closed if he gets anywhere near a cat, and he could not sit near one on a closed up airplane.

Tagged the wrong person in your response.  I am well award of the dangers of allergic reaction to pets (specifically cats) and people with asthma and other breathing issues.  It was others who were passing it off as an irrational fear.

Did you read about the hepa filters?  Do you know what they are?

And did you read where those with allergies sit nowhere near an animal?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Did you read about the safety measures taken on planes?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to wonder how some people ride a bus, a train, sit next to anyone in a theater or even walk down the street.  They may pass a dog on a leash or someone who hasn't been able to brush off all their cat hair.

What is interesting is the two really complaining were against banning peanuts around little allergic kids in school.  Those kids really could die but that didn't bother them at all.

Frequent Contributor

A lot of people with the condition I have (fibromyalgia) have emotional support dogs (according to posts in forums around the internet). I just don't see it. I have a pet at home for support but would not consider taking one to a store or anywhere with me. It would stress me out and fatigue me to have to handle a pet doing something like just going to the store. I am worn out by the time I get home as it is. I sure wouldn't want to stress the pet out by taking him along with me. 

Respected Contributor

I don't want to sit next to or near a pet.  

I'm terribly frightened of animals.  

Honored Contributor

Having an ''emotional support animal" is how they can fly their pets for free.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If someone has a family member who is supposedly allergic to dogs, so much so their eyes swell or they might have a breathing reaction in spite of airline safety precautions, why would they think there would be no reaction to guide dogs and other service dogs, just emotional support dogs?

And why would they not support a peanut ban on airplanes if there is a person on board with a peanut allergy?

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Having an ''emotional support animal" is how they can fly their pets for free.  

@DiAnne

Do you really think that is what our PTSD vets are doing with their emotional support dogs?