Esteemed Contributor

Re: Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

@qualitygal wrote:

@Stray,

I know, that was just unthinkable to me. That poor animal doesn't belong in that home. Why don't people understand about wild animals? IT escapes me!!!

@qualitygal- I think it just gets down to selfishness and their own wants and needs....then, the animal bites or walks over a human....put it down ugh!

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7- I don't think the dogs are a scam but people use them as a scam to bring their dogs to places that aren't necessary and are inappropriate, not for emotional support.  If a dog is legitimate like on a plane or for an agoraphobic going to a mall, the psychiatrist suggests it and it helps fine.   But, I know that's not the case....

the animals are not always trained because just petting an animal gives emotional support; it is known your BP may drop 15 points but emotional health can't be measured nor can a non evident illness.  There are dogs trained to live with brittle diabetics; they can smell acidosis before it happens....that dog should/can go everywhere...

vests are purchased online with no medical certification; once those vests are worn by dogs doesn't mean they are legitimate ESAs

there are true emotional support dogs/animals and there are people who abuse a misunderstood law.  People do have the right to question validity and inconsiderate and dishonest people abusing laws to help the truly disabled should be stopped.  Abuse also infringes upon the rights of other citizens....everyone doesn't like dogs, there are allergies and some just fear dogs ....I single out dogs as they are out and about more often

If you are such an emotional wreck that you can't go to the movies or food shop without your dog, well, you need a human caretaker not a dog.  There are health codes for a reason and should only be broken for true need and to help the truly disabled not frauds

i don't think anyone questions the animals but the misuse of them....and it isn't always kind to the animal either 

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Not long ago, I read up on Emotional Support Dogs for our vets with PTSD.

The dogs are considered very important and have made life bearable for some who were suicidal.

PLEASE READ:

An article on the importance of Emotional Support Dogs for our wounded vets:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

From the US Department of Veterans Affairs

I would never question the use of one for our Vets.  Everyone else is suspect, from my perspective.

I would question any person to determine validity if I were still handling ADA for any entity including my own business if it is disruptive or violates a health code.  Once the validity is determined, I would welcome any ESA and its owner.  But like most good laws, it is people who abuse them not animals and I have encountered more abuse than legitimacy.  You can bring an animal on board a plane for a fee in cabin and some just want a free service or an animal traveling beyond airline guidelines. 

I am supportive of all veterans and hired many before retirement and PTSD is a legitimate reason to have an ESA and some very prominent animals like Uno the AKC champ is credited by the vet as giving him the will to walk and avert suicide.  But, all vets by being vets do not have PTSD and should be required to present documentation because you can't see PTSD.  Most people who have legitimate illness and need support animals have no objection to submitting such documentation....and diagnosis, unless if presented to a medical surrogate CAN NOT BE DEMANDED. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

So they are allowed when traveling on airlines and obtaining housing, fair enough as long as they are well behaved.  Seems it also only addresses dogs as companions.  Really does not explaing all these stores, restraunts ect. being expected to accomodate people who want to bring their pets everywhere they go. 

Do you also think that about Guide Dogs For The Blind?

@Noel7- I don't think people are objecting to a true service dog.  If a person has a visible disability such as being blind, that can not be questioned, legally.  These animals help people gain access to the world and live normally and have been included without objection for many years.  I wouldn't object to a monkey helping someone without limbs assisting  them shop either.  The question is legitimacy with an unseen ailment; it's too easy to abuse the law and is abused; that's a fact and I've experienced such abuse in both my professional life and as a board member for my condominium.   It is indeed a rarity to see someone have an emotional collapse if their dog is not in the supermarket, restaurant, work  or movies with them.  People with online businesses are profiting on fraudulent cases. $75 a pop no medical certification needed.  Entities don't question the dog with a vest out of fear and ignorance of the law....and the rights of others are not considered nor are health codes, for safety reasons.  

People are missing the point.... Humans  will and are abusing a well meaning law to help a protected, deserving class of people.  Thats wrong...period! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Not long ago, I read up on Emotional Support Dogs for our vets with PTSD.

The dogs are considered very important and have made life bearable for some who were suicidal.

PLEASE READ:

An article on the importance of Emotional Support Dogs for our wounded vets:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

From the US Department of Veterans Affairs

I would never question the use of one for our Vets.  Everyone else is suspect, from my perspective.

@colliegirls

Why?  Civilians have also suffered head trauma and PTSD from assaults.

You might want to look at the list provided for those who qualify, they are not all vets.

Why not leave it up to the doctors instead of people on a bulletin board who don't know much about the subject at all

@Noel7- I love vets and respect them and volunteer for a veterans group.  What you say is correct....everyone should be treated equally under our laws and by virtue of being a vet does not exclude them from requirements.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

Having an ''emotional support animal" is how they can fly their pets for free.  

@DiAnne

Do you really think that is what our PTSD vets are doing with their emotional support dogs?

I was not aware this thread was only referring to veterans with PTSD.

There are posters who like to make assumptions and manipulate your statement into something it is not.  The discussion is concerning ALL ANIMALS and the abuses of the laws designed to protect those who actually need these animals to function.  And yes there are many, many people who are taking advantage of these rules.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

When I fly my expectation of the event does not include having to sit next to a emotional support pig or turkey. I am allergic to cats and to some dogs. Do the airlines reserve special seats for people flying with animals? What about the rights of other passengers who would be essentially unable to change their travel plans and are unable to put much distance between themselves and this situation. People are trapped on planes. What happens when the plane is delayed on the tarmac? And the plane gets overheated, stuffy, and yikes! On another thread about air travel stories I posted about having to sit next to a large, loud, noisy parrot. It was horrible. I picture in my mind the airlines resembling those third-world bus trips crowded with people and their chickens and goats I have seen on Globe Treker.

People want peanut butter banned from places because someone is allergic while have not problem forcing people who are allergic into an airplane with animals. 

Are people dying from anaphylaxis from sitting next to a dog or cat? 

My mother has several breathing issues on top of a sever allergy to cats, so yes she could die. 

You obviously don't understand what anaphylaxis is. 

Anaphylaxis can occur with exposure to cat dander or any allergen.  Airlines are trying to accommodate all passengers.  Animals are permitted to travel in coach without being ESAs.  you may be subjected to an animal by chance....first come, first serve is the only response an airline can make; they can't make a legal/business decision based on medical priority. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

When I fly my expectation of the event does not include having to sit next to a emotional support pig or turkey. I am allergic to cats and to some dogs. Do the airlines reserve special seats for people flying with animals? What about the rights of other passengers who would be essentially unable to change their travel plans and are unable to put much distance between themselves and this situation. People are trapped on planes. What happens when the plane is delayed on the tarmac? And the plane gets overheated, stuffy, and yikes! On another thread about air travel stories I posted about having to sit next to a large, loud, noisy parrot. It was horrible. I picture in my mind the airlines resembling those third-world bus trips crowded with people and their chickens and goats I have seen on Globe Treker.

People want peanut butter banned from places because someone is allergic while have not problem forcing people who are allergic into an airplane with animals. 

Are people dying from anaphylaxis from sitting next to a dog or cat? 

My mother has several breathing issues on top of a sever allergy to cats, so yes she could die. 

You obviously don't understand what anaphylaxis is. 

OK I get it, thats the only thing that counts when contributing to a persons death.

You have a good day too.

All asthmatics are not the same....what causes anaphylaxis with one does not with another....everyone isn't helped by emergency inhalers and some are....some forget their inhalers....you are dealing with humans and there is no one size fits all and the same is with any disease....

Esteemed Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

I did try to open before I responded and again just now.  It did try but did not open either time.   Locally we supposedly do have people who work to get training for animals that need it and to help procure specially trained animals when needed.  Employers and employees have to abide by the rules set up by these people and the health Dept.   In my years at my night job I only saw dogs coming in as support partners.  We did have strange pets in back packs and totes.   We saw them only if they decided to escape or if their owner was foolish enough to do a show and tell.  They forgot there are security cameras all over.  We have trained and certified dogs and cats that visit nursing homes.  That is a wonderful program.

@Gram W- dogs visiting the ill and infirmed are "therapy" dogs and receive screening for stability and training.  However personal pets are allowed to visit nursing homes and live in assisted living situations; they are emotional support dogs to the human owner and they do get to know other residents and visit but they are animal residents.  

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Just because you don't react to dogs & cats with an asthma attack doesn't mean no one does. Many people are desparately allergic to animal dander.My DH doesn't get asthma but his eyes will swell closed if he gets anywhere near a cat, and he could not sit near one on a closed up airplane.

@151949- Agreed....no two people react the same to a disease....cat dander is one of the worst allergens and I have seen some mean reactions.  Add the stress of flying and lack of sleep, an asthmatic who might be ok with exposure could have a more severe attack.