Esteemed Contributor

Re: Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

When I fly my expectation of the event does not include having to sit next to a emotional support pig or turkey. I am allergic to cats and to some dogs. Do the airlines reserve special seats for people flying with animals? What about the rights of other passengers who would be essentially unable to change their travel plans and are unable to put much distance between themselves and this situation. People are trapped on planes. What happens when the plane is delayed on the tarmac? And the plane gets overheated, stuffy, and yikes! On another thread about air travel stories I posted about having to sit next to a large, loud, noisy parrot. It was horrible. I picture in my mind the airlines resembling those third-world bus trips crowded with people and their chickens and goats I have seen on Globe Treker.

People want peanut butter banned from places because someone is allergic while have not problem forcing people who are allergic into an airplane with animals. 

Are people dying from anaphylaxis from sitting next to a dog or cat? 

My mother has several breathing issues on top of a sever allergy to cats, so yes she could die. 

@CrazyDaisy

Not likely.

One example of what many airlines are doing:

"Air Canada will ban dogs or cats on planes without HEPA filters when a passenger with an allergy to dogs or cats is on board. If the dog is a service animal, priority will be given to the first reservation made. On planes with HEPA filters, a five row buffer zone between a pet and the passenger with allergies will be established in the aircraft.

With the increase of animals traveling in the cabin, those who cannot be exposed to pet allergens should work with the airlines at the time of reservation to ensure they are not seated in close proximity to animals. This is an issue that may surface over time as the airlines try to accommodate those passengers on both sides of the fence.

http://www.pettravel.com/blog/index.php/pet-allergy-sufferers-when-traveling-on-airplanes/

Still trying huh...would you take that chance????? 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

You provided a great visual in my mind's eye of a bufflao needing to go 'out'.

Accidents?

btw-love your byline-as a retired middle school teacher.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

When I fly my expectation of the event does not include having to sit next to a emotional support pig or turkey. I am allergic to cats and to some dogs. Do the airlines reserve special seats for people flying with animals? What about the rights of other passengers who would be essentially unable to change their travel plans and are unable to put much distance between themselves and this situation. People are trapped on planes. What happens when the plane is delayed on the tarmac? And the plane gets overheated, stuffy, and yikes! On another thread about air travel stories I posted about having to sit next to a large, loud, noisy parrot. It was horrible. I picture in my mind the airlines resembling those third-world bus trips crowded with people and their chickens and goats I have seen on Globe Treker.

People want peanut butter banned from places because someone is allergic while have not problem forcing people who are allergic into an airplane with animals. 

My mother has several breathing issues on top of a sever allergy to cats, so yes she could die. 

You obviously don't understand what anaphylaxis is. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

Not likely.

"Air Canada will ban dogs or cats on planes without HEPA filters when a passenger with an allergy to dogs or cats is on board. If the dog is a service animal, priority will be given to the first reservation made. On planes with HEPA filters, a five row buffer zone between a pet and the passenger with allergies will be established in the aircraft.

With the increase of animals traveling in the cabin, those who cannot be exposed to pet allergens should work with the airlines at the time of reservation to ensure they are not seated in close proximity to animals. This is an issue that may surface over time as the airlines try to accommodate those passengers on both sides of the fence.

http://www.pettravel.com/blog/index.php/pet-allergy-sufferers-when-traveling-on-airplanes/

@CrazyDaisy

Your fears are unfounded.

What you call "trying" is a presentation of FACTS.  Most people find the truth helpful when it softens their unfounded fears.

Would I?  I have asthma and have flown with animals in the plane.  I carry an emergency inhaler, I've never needed it on a plane.

My daughter also has asthma and allergies.  She carries an emergency inhaler and an EPI pen.  She has flown with dogs on the plane, and she flew a lot more times than I ever did while she working for Congress and studying in Washington DC.

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

You obviously don't understand what anaphylaxis is. 

OK I get it, thats the only thing that counts when contributing to a persons death.

You have a good day too.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

Not likely.

@CrazyDaisy

What you call "trying" is a presentation of FACTS.  Most people find the truth helpful when it softens their unfounded fears.

Would I?  I have asthma and have flown with animals in the plane.  I carry an emergency inhaler, I've never needed it on a plane.

My daughter also has asthma and allergies.  She carries an emergency inhaler and an EPI pen.  She has flown with dogs on the plane, and she flew a lot more times than I ever did while she working for Congress and studying in Washington DC.

Good for you, guess if you can do it then it is save for everyone.  Unfortunately you are wrong and in some cases dead wrong.  Thank you for playing.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

Not likely.

@CrazyDaisy

Good for you, guess if you can do it then it is save for everyone.  Unfortunately you are wrong and in some cases dead wrong.  Thank you for playing.

@CrazyDaisy

I don't "play" like you do, I look to facts and evidence, you have presented none and have ignored those others have given.

You are free to feel afraid of the many things you've identified if it makes you happy.

Trusted Contributor

I did try to open before I responded and again just now.  It did try but did not open either time.   Locally we supposedly do have people who work to get training for animals that need it and to help procure specially trained animals when needed.  Employers and employees have to abide by the rules set up by these people and the health Dept.   In my years at my night job I only saw dogs coming in as support partners.  We did have strange pets in back packs and totes.   We saw them only if they decided to escape or if their owner was foolish enough to do a show and tell.  They forgot there are security cameras all over.  We have trained and certified dogs and cats that visit nursing homes.  That is a wonderful program.

Honored Contributor

Today I had to fly - was on Allegiant - 3 people got on with dogs - two were fine in carriers as required and sitting quietly undert the seat. But there is always one isn't there! First - while bringing the dog onboard the carrier was half open and the dog had half himself out of it - then the woman sits down and gets all seatbelted in and take the dog out of the carrier to sit on her lap - steward goes over and says she HAS TO put the dog back in the carrier but she claims she has a note from a psychiatrist saying she has to be able to hold the dog on her lap. Then the lady in the next seat says (and rightfully so) NO - What if it bites or throws up or something. Absolutely NO. So the captain come out and says OK we will change seats - well they had to find someone who wanted to sit next to her then they had to change around seats etc and move around bags from overhead bins and all - we ended up a half hour late in leaving. And my question is - if I can't hold my purse - an inantimate object - in my lap - because it could potentially fly off my lap and hurt someone - how can she possibly be allowed to hold a dog?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  Just because you don't react to dogs & cats with an asthma attack doesn't mean no one does. Many people are desparately allergic to animal dander.My DH doesn't get asthma but his eyes will swell closed if he gets anywhere near a cat, and he could not sit near one on a closed up airplane.