Esteemed Contributor

Re: Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

@Rileyx wrote:

A lot of people with the condition I have (fibromyalgia) have emotional support dogs (according to posts in forums around the internet). I just don't see it. I have a pet at home for support but would not consider taking one to a store or anywhere with me. It would stress me out and fatigue me to have to handle a pet doing something like just going to the store. I am worn out by the time I get home as it is. I sure wouldn't want to stress the pet out by taking him along with me. 

@Rileyx- because you are legitimate and using your animal correctly and responsibly.  It is unkind to bring a pet to a place it may not want to be and it would not help your discomfort to have your animal with you outside the home.  True ESAs do help and I hope yours does.  

Honored Contributor

@Stray

Nice to read a reasonable and intelligent view on this subject.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Stray

Nice to read a reasonable and intelligent view on this subject.  

@DiAnne- thank you.  I handled ADA and got so sick of people trying to abuse the system.  No one objects to ESAs if it is valid and service dogs like seeing eye dogs have been around for ages and I have never encountered a disruptive one nor saw anyone object to their presence....in NYC, they are truly amazing to watch as they guide their owners through busy streets.  We had a retirement party for a blind employee and everyone gave gifts to her dog.   I think people forget that everyone has rights including the animals.