Honored Contributor

Re: Seriously considering retirement --- could we talk?

@151949 wrote:

I will say this - we downsized to one car and while I admit we really don't NEED 2 cars - I am not happy with this decision. For one thing my DH insists on us having a large full size SUV. I hate driving it and hate hate hate parking it, and we really do not need what is essentially a fancy truck at all. The other thing is - for this to work he has to keep me informed when he needs the car so I don't make conflicting appointments. However, I just can not get him to keep me up with all his meetings and appt.It's just like pulling teeth, so, of course, we get into conflicts of appts, and every time, no matter what I am the one sitting on a bench somewhere in the boiling sun waiting for him to come pick me up. I just get irate! I do not recommend downsizing to one car.

I totally agree with this!  At one point last year we were down to one car.  We thought why not see how this will work out?...we tried it for 7 months or so and I wasn't happy with the arrangement.  It seemed that he would have plans to use the car often when I needed it.  The final straw for me came when I had an early appointment one day last September and DH took the car forgetting that I needed it.  I had to cancel my appointment.

I told him that this one car arrangement wasn't working.  I told him that I was going to look for a new car that week and he could come with me if he wanted to. He came but didn't really get involved with the decision except when I asked his opinion. My car will be one year old in another week.  One of the best decisions that I've made for myself in recent years!

Honored Contributor

I know I’m probably a minority on this subject but I ❤️ routine. Although my DH & I are on track $$ wise for retirement, by the grace of God, I will work until I drop dead...or close to it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

Enjoy your retirement but I suggest take a rest and then get out of the house and volunteer somewhere you love (I do at our local childrens hospital) or go back to school and take a course or two for fun! 

Honored Contributor

Staying as we did at a campground in the summers, we met a lot of people who live full time in a camper due to having made some bad financial decisions along the way - mostly  we have heard the worst decision they made was to take their SS and retire at age 62. They found out they simply could not live on the 25% less monthly income. Then they tried to make up the difference investing in risky high yield stocks.Another big mistake! 2008 came along and many lost most of or all of their savings. Imagine having to live on nothing but your SS and only getting 3/4 of that! So , in order to survive they had to sell their only asset - their house - and move into a camper. Some were only temporarily living in a camper while they wait to get into subsidized houseing. The state or county  gives you a 1 bedroom apt. for only 20% of your income, but the wait list is long.The apartments aren't really very nice but way better than living in a camper all winter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1: My story: I worked with disabilities at a very stressful job dealing with welfare, food stamps etc. I had started my 23rd year hoping to work 9 more years. Then the years of 

stress- boom, doctor told me to retire within 6 months before I have a full blown nervous breakdown and other major health issues 😧.i worked for the state and looked into disability retirement  and I was only 45. That October- still working and trying to file necessary paper work. My doctor put me on 3 months medical leave and I had enough accrued sick leave to cover this. This was 1999. My state disability papers were filed in November . My supervisor came to my house 12/22/99- she was mean and said she didn’t know how I bribed doctors but she knows for sure the new year will bring being fired. I kicked her out of the house. One hour  later, my state representative called me: Please enjoy the holidays and look forward to 2000 because your disability retirement will start February and you can file for Social Security Disability in April. God has been good to me and answered all my prayers. My supervisor was out to lunch when I called her- I had fun leaving her a message of : Good bye. Because of the disability retirement did not have to do exit review and a coworker cleaned out my desk for me. Total of amount of disability income was just a few dollars less than employment income. I live a simple life, have a comfortable home, enjoying life and retirement. I am not rich but not deprived. I met a wonderful man during this transition and we married a year later. We both have disabilities but help each other and enjoying life. We are eating hot dogs and watching all the SEC games and having fun. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Southern Bee 

xxx : Go Atlanta Braves😀

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I know I’m probably a minority on this subject but I ❤️ routine. Although my DH & I are on track $$ wise for retirement, by the grace of God, I will work until I drop dead...or close to it.

It sounds like you. Love your job and work with nice people.

for some people like me, the job was 100% stress.  Many people were leaving and the youngsters that were new hires treated anyone that was over age 50 like they were stupid and old.  My company employed about 2000 people.

it got really bad.  I loved my job, but it because harder and harder to go in there everyday.  One Monday morning. I walked in and said I was taking two weeks vacation....and I would not be back.  It was the best decision I ever made.  No regrets.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Staying as we did at a campground in the summers, we met a lot of people who live full time in a camper due to having made some bad financial decisions along the way - mostly  we have heard the worst decision they made was to take their SS and retire at age 62. They found out they simply could not live on the 25% less monthly income. Then they tried to make up the difference investing in risky high yield stocks.Another big mistake! 2008 came along and many lost most of or all of their savings. Imagine having to live on nothing but your SS and only getting 3/4 of that! So , in order to survive they had to sell their only asset - their house - and move into a camper. Some were only temporarily living in a camper while they wait to get into subsidized houseing. The state or county  gives you a 1 bedroom apt. for only 20% of your income, but the wait list is long.The apartments aren't really very nice but way better than living in a camper all winter.

At a certain age it's time to stop with the risky investments and get conservative with your $.

We have always been conservative investors and we're fine with the decisions we made through the years.

Yes, we could have probably made a lot more while we were younger and wanted to gamble but on the other hand could have lost a lot too.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, I am one of the ones who retired at 62. And guess what? I don't seem to have any of the problems you speak of money wise. My husband retired before I did.
When we bought our house in 1983, we took a 15 year mortgage, so house has been paid off for a long time. Cars are paid off, bills paid every month, biggest expense are taxes, about 12 thousand a year.

Husband handles all repairs, etc on house. He can do just about anything.

i am a homebody and only leave when I have to. Husband is always busy and on the go. 

I think it is up to the individual as to what you can or cannot afford for retirement.

Respected Contributor

We always planned for retirement, investing, saving, paying off mortgages early, etc. We retired at 55. I actually needed to buy clothes because my wardrobe was corporate—for the professional woman. I needed decent casual clothes! I don't think we changed anything major in retirement. We had travelled so much before, and I practically lived in planes and hotel rooms during my career and travelled all over the U.S. and Europe. So, we have no desire for lots of travel. The occasional trip is ok, but getting on a plane still feels like work to me. We like hanging out at home and moved year-round to our lake house when we quit our jobs. I feel I am always on vacation here on the water. Each of us has our own interests, so we love being together but also enjoy time apart. I’m not into social media and was happy NOT to be tethered to the company cellphone 24/7 when I retired, so we have one  cellphone which we only charge up and carry on driving trips. No smart phone. So, I suppose that saves some money because we only pay for the minutes we use. It all just works, but we cut corners for decades to save, invest, and plan for this, putting the max into company stock and 401ks, investing regularly outside of that, and paying off homes early. 

Super Contributor

Well, I worked in health care / health insurance for the last 20 years of my career.  I did not have my house paid off as expected but felt I could still retire.  My expenses are a mortgage (cheaper than any rent around), utilities, car insurance, one credit card and one magazine subscription.  I do have cable tv but every year when they want to raise it, I call and they leave it the same.  My income went down to 25% of my work income.  I dont like to travel so thats not an expense.  I have always been in good health but within 6 months of retiring, I could no longer hike / walk because I tore my achilles tendon.  Hiking was the greatest thing I had looked forward to in my retirement.  Now after 18 months of therapy, stem cell shots etc.... I go in for surgery in 2 weeks.

I am telling you this because the money isnt really the greatest worry, in my opinion.  Get as many of your health concerns taken care of or at least those you know about.  If you are happy about retiring then do it.  If money does become an issue then get a small part time job.  Do what makes you happy while you can.